Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass tokyo - gotemba outlet & disney 2010/10/15 18:53
Dear all,

Going to use 7 days JR pass in tokyo & planned to go Gotemba factory outlet & tokyo disney sea.

Kindly advise on the following questions:-

1. From tokyo shinjuku station to Gotemba factory Outlet by bus or train & fully covered by JR pass. (prefer by bus)

2. From tokyo shinjuku station to tokyo disney sea by bus or train & fully covered by JR pass. (if possible)

Thanks!
by Desmond Ho  

JR Pass 2010/10/15 19:19
1. From tokyo shinjuku station to Gotemba factory Outlet by bus or train & fully covered by JR pass. (prefer by bus)

I don't understand why you would want to pay for the bus when the trip is already covered by your pass. I'd take the fully covered train.

2. From tokyo shinjuku station to tokyo disney sea by bus or train & fully covered by JR pass. (if possible)

Again, the trip is fully covered by your JR pass. Take the Chuo Line to Tokyo and transfer to the Keiyo Line to Maihama Station.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

the questions would be 2010/10/15 19:35
Desmond,

Neither the bus from Shinjuku to Gotemba nor the bus from Shinjuku to Tokyo disney is operated by JR, which means JR Pass doesn't cover these buses.

Both the train from Shinjuku to Gotemba and the one from Shinjuku to Tokyo Disney are operated by JR, which means JR Pass is valid for these JR trains.
by V (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/10/15 20:35
From your comments in this and another post it would seem that you are getting a JR Rail Pass but only staying in the Tokyo area. If that is the case then this is insane, you will be paying 15,000-20,000 Yen over individual tickets or local passes.

On average the JR Rail Pass works out at a cost of over 4,000 Yen per day. Here are some regular or special fares:

Narita - Shinjuku - Narita using NX + Suica roundtrip ticket 5,500 Yen (including 2,000 Yen Suica card)

Shinjuku - Disneyland = 760 Yen roundtrip

Shinjuku - Gotemba = 3,780 Yen

Tokyo Free Kippu day ticket for subways and JR trains (although I doubt you would even get value from this over single tickets) = 1580 yen

Also, as you seem to prefer going to places by bus, why even get a train pass?
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

jr kanto bus 2010/10/16 00:44
either the bus from Shinjuku to Gotemba nor the bus from Shinjuku to Tokyo disney is operated by JR, which means JR Pass doesn't cover these buses.

Actually JR Kanto bus runs a highway bus from Shinjuku to the outlets but from this thread it looks like its not covered by the pass. You might be able to take it to the Tomei-Gotemba from where you can catch the free shuttle to the outlets:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+74591

From your comments in this and another post it would seem that you are getting a JR Rail Pass but only staying in the Tokyo area. If that is the case then this is insane, you will be paying 15,000-20,000 Yen over individual tickets or local passes.

From his other thread it mentions that he will be visiting Kyoto around the halfway point of his trip. In that case the JR pass is a good value.

. 2010/10/16 01:10
@ yllwsmrf:

I was basing my comments on this thread: ''Shinjuku station to Narita Airport.'' Desmond Ho was not the original poster. And of this statement made by Mr Ho in that thread:

I going to stay at tokyo for 10 days.

There was no mention by him of Kyoto. Another thread perhaps? I did a search and found another thread in which he stated that he had already purchased the pass, this was in early August. Unless the voucher was purchased with a few days of that post and he is going in the first week of November, then the Exchange voucher will be worthless as it is only valid for 3 months.

Thanks for all your helps 2010/10/16 01:43
Dear all,

thanks for all your sincere helps.
Apologize to make so much confuse here.
For the JR Pass, what i saw from other posts stated as below which made me thinking of JR pass covered with buses as well.

here's the post on 2008.

To Gotemba Factory Outlet using JR pass 2008/10/29 by GPhang

I was in Gotemba outlet last week and used the JR pass fully. Take JR bus at Tokyo station(Yaesu south exit) and reservation require for bus leaving to Gotemba IC bus stop. The bus stop at Gotemba IC bus stop and you could transfer the free shuttle bus to Gotemba outlet. It takes about 2hrs from Tokyo station to Gotemba IC bus stop, and the free shuttle bus run every 20 mins reach the outlet within 10 mins.
You may want to take the bus leaving from Tokyo at 7.40am or 9.00am during weekday and weekend add'l departure at 8.00 and 8.50am. You could check the return bus schedule when u making the reservation.
Another option by JR train, which will take a longer time, about 2hr 30 mins and you have to transfer train. And if you miss the connetion, will have to wait for 30 mins at the Gotemba station. The free shuttle bus also stop at JR Gotemba station.

------
That's why i thinking of getting a bus will be faster then train & yet have a different experiences (cause from my previous post, i did mentioned that i will go kyoto by JR pass & by tokaido shinkansen). So i thought that by bus would be some different experiences.

For the JR pass, i did mentioned that i hav bought it already but luckily told by the agent & i pull the break on time as it was mentioned by RobBeer (expired in 3 months).

It really confuse me cause some posts said JR pass not cover buses but some said it was included, so need some clarification. Thanks for all your helps & now my doubts is it the JR Kanto Bus mentioned by yllwsmrf still covered by JR pass?

Again, thanks for all your helps!
by Desmond Ho rate this post as useful

Helps... 2010/10/17 01:22
Dear all,

Need helps here. So by using JR pass, is it cover with the JR Kanto bus to Gotemba Premium Outlet?

Thanks!

. 2010/10/17 03:00
Hi Desmond,
according to the JR Rail Pass web site, JR Kanto Bus is covered by the rail pass:

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en004.html

"Buses: Local lines of JR bus companies (JR Hokkaido Bus, JR Bus Tohoku, JR Bus Kanto...."

Thanks for your helps! 2010/10/17 18:19
Dear all,

Thanks for all your helps!

JR Kanto Bus 2010/11/8 10:27
Hi Desmond,
according to the JR Rail Pass web site, JR Kanto Bus is covered by the rail pass:

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en004.html

"Buses: Local lines of JR bus companies (JR Hokkaido Bus, JR Bus Tohoku, JR Bus Kanto...."

Note that the JR Kanto Bus to Gotemba is excluded as it is a highway bus rather than a local line and is not specifically mentioned on list of JR highway buses that are covered by the pass.

reply to this thread