Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

Zao Ski Resort 2010/10/22 02:28
I don't exactly ski but would like to take a look at the snow monsters. Is a ski pass/lift still required in that case?
by samsherlyn  

... 2010/10/22 11:12
You still have to buy tickets for the ropeway. But a 1-day pass for all the lifts in Zao is not required.
by Uji rate this post as useful

ropeway ticket 2010/10/22 11:17
The cost of a roundtrip ropeway ticket to access the snow monsters is 2,500 yen for adults and 1,250 yen for children. The ropeway operates from 8:15 to 16:30

http://www.zao-ski.or.jp/charge/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Save money 2010/10/23 16:01
http://outnabout.fotopic.net/p62584283.html
that will save you the trip :-)
The day we went it was beautiful and sunny. By the time we got to the top of the ropeway it was like Antarctica with a howling blizzard. It cleared quickly but taking the gloves off to shoot some pics had to be done in a big hurry as it was so cold. Great spot, hope you get there and enjoy it.
by RodW rate this post as useful

.. 2010/10/23 17:48
Argh that's awful.. Think I'll just go to matsushima for some good photo taking, exploring and oysters!!
by samsherlyn rate this post as useful

.. 2010/10/25 11:27
Despite the warning on the weather and viewing so many pictures from Zao Mountains. I am still pretty tempted to visit it. Looks really beautiful.

Is there any weather website where I can check out?

Also, what is the best way to get Sendai to Zao.. The guide stated bus and train but I read on a post which was dated quite some time ago that there are direct buses (90mins) to Zao. Could anybody provide any information in English about it?

zao 2010/10/25 12:13
Despite the warning on the weather and viewing so many pictures from Zao Mountains. I am still pretty tempted to visit it. Looks really beautiful.

I think RodW's post was meant as a joke rather than a warning. Zao is quite amazing, but, just like anywhere else, is best seen during good weather.

Is there any weather website where I can check out?

Here's some live cams from the resort. I couldn't find any of the snow monsters for some reason, so these only show the situation from the base so be aware that the weather may be different at the top. They'll give you an idea though.

http://www.zao-spa.or.jp/livecam
http://www.zao.to/livecam/

Also, what is the best way to get Sendai to Zao.. The guide stated bus and train but I read on a post which was dated quite some time ago that there are direct buses (90mins) to Zao. Could anybody provide any information in English about it?

Have you seen this page? The info is recent as of March of this year.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7927.html

.. 2010/10/25 12:41
I see thanks! Yea, weather is pretty unexpected especially with the El Nina, many are saying that Winter this time round gonna be pretty dreadful but I will keep a close watch.

Where do i board the bus from. The one that is at Sendai and cost 1500yen.

.. 2010/10/25 12:43
And also, how do I do the reservation?

bus 2010/10/25 13:37
If you have a JR pass you can save a few hundred yen by taking the train to Yamagata and boarding the bus from there. Otherwise I would take the direct bus from Sendai. You can make reservations at the bus ticket desk near the bus stop just before departure.

.. 2010/10/25 14:05
Do you have any idea about the bus timing as there only 2 buses per hour. Also, will it be certain that we get the timing?

Yamadera is near Yamagata Station?

bus 2010/10/25 14:33
Do you have any idea about the bus timing as there only 2 buses per hour. Also, will it be certain that we get the timing?

You mean 2 buses per DAY from Sendai right? Service begins in December and they haven't listed the official schedule yet for this year. When they do post it you can find it here:

http://www.yamakobus.co.jp/kousoku/se-yaza10.html

However, I found this page that lists the departures as 8 and 10am. Return buses depart at 3 and 4:30pm. I'm not sure if the schedule will be the same this year.

Yamadera is near Yamagata Station?

Not really, its a 20 minute train ride away to JR Yamadera Station. The first temple building is a short 5 minute walk from the station, while rest must be accessed by a much longer 1000 step hike up the mountain.

.. 2010/10/25 14:58
If thats the case, I should be taking a train to Yamadera Station? Will it be shorter? Or should I walk to Yamadera.

Hmmm, when will the new schedule be out? Hmmmm, 8am and 10am, thats pretty early. If I set out from Hamamatsucho at 7.45am, I will only reach Yamagata at 11am.

Also, I have come up with this itinery over 2 days. I have the JR pass, so I would only need to pay for the bus ride.

Day 1 - Hamamatsucho to Yamagata, followed by Bus to Zao Resort and Ropeway to Snow Monsters, drop by to Yamadera before returning to Hamamatsucho

Day 2 - Hamamatsucho to Matsushima and take a walk around Sendai Station area and return to Hamamatsucho.

there is a bus per hour? 2010/10/25 15:02
Hmmmm, sorry, I got this from the page but need more info about the bus.

"Take the JR Senzan Line from Sendai to Yamagata (70-90 minutes, 1110 yen, one train per hour) and transfer to a bus to Zao Onsen (40 minutes, 980 yen, one bus per hour). The train ride is covered by the Japan Rail Pass, but the bus ride is not. "

yamagata 2010/10/25 15:43
Hmmm, when will the new schedule be out?

Sorry, I have no idea when they publish their winter schedules. I'd assume sometime next month.

Hmmmm, 8am and 10am, thats pretty early. If I set out from Hamamatsucho at 7.45am, I will only reach Yamagata at 11am.

8 and 10 are the departure times from Sendai Station. The buses from Yamagata Station depart every 40 minutes. There's a bus departing at 11:20. Here's the bus schedule:

http://www.yamakobus.co.jp/kousoku/ya-za10.html

Day 1 - Hamamatsucho to Yamagata, followed by Bus to Zao Resort and Ropeway to Snow Monsters, drop by to Yamadera before returning to Hamamatsucho

You probably won't have time to do both in the same day. Assuming you hit all your connections perfectly and only spend an hour at the snow monsters, by your schedule you won't get to Yamadera until 3:30 at the earliest. That gives you very little time before sunset and no time to climb the stairs. If you want to do both I would strongly suggest leaving Tokyo earlier. The first shinkansen leaves Tokyo at 6:12 arriving in Yamagata at 9:03. That's a little better but it will still be fairly a tight schedule to do both.

hamamatsucho 2010/10/25 15:46
by the way, is there a reason why you're heading back all the way to Hamamatsucho for the evening? You be better off finding a hotel in Sendai.

... 2010/10/25 15:51
Was thinking of staying over at Sendai but can't really find a suitable hotel yet. Any to recommend? Not looking at those high budget type as we cant break our hotel stay in Tokyo.

We also dont want to waste our rooms in Tokyo as we will already be off for quite a few nights when in Kobe, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima and Miyajima. Wanted to give the rooms up but didnt want the hassle of moving luggage around and also because the hotel rate would shoot up greatly.

.. 2010/10/25 16:06
I have shortlisted these 2 hotels for a below USD 100 stay for a night. Which will be better recommended?

- Richmond Hotel Sendai
- Daiichi Inn Park

Also, I will be staying over on the first day and checking out on the second day (will do so at about 9am). Is the below route better?

Day 1 - Zao for the Snow Monsters
Day 2 - Matsushima and Yamadera

Sorry, so if I am going to Yamadera, do I take the train to Yamadera Station?

hotel 2010/10/25 16:13
Wanted to give the rooms up but didnt want the hassle of moving luggage around and also because the hotel rate would shoot up greatly.

I find it surprising that the hotel rate differs enough to make a $100 dollar difference if you break up your stay.

I haven't stayed at the hotels you mentioned but as an alternative I'd recommend the Toyoko Inn chain of business hotels. They're quiet cheap and good for the price.

Also, I will be staying over on the first day and checking out on the second day (will do so at about 9am). Is the below route better?

I take it you're not too much of an early morning person. I think your itinerary is doable, however the pace doesn't lend itself well to the type of places that Matsushima and Yamadera are. They lend themselves better to a slow relaxed pace of travel.

Sorry, so if I am going to Yamadera, do I take the train to Yamadera Station?

That is correct.

.. 2010/10/25 16:48
Thanks.

Yes, the hotel I am staying in Tokyo charges 8000 yen a day for my long stay. As I will be away from Tokyo for 5 days already, I have wasted 40000 yen for the hotel. I did ask if I could check out and re-check in but they said the rate would then increase 12000 yen a day. So staying Sendai would mean wasting another 8000 yen as well for the hotel in Tokyo.

Well, I am starting out pretty early for most of my tour, just wanted to slow down in the last few days. I usually leave the hotel at about 7am and only return at midnight.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

reply to this thread