Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsukiji Market Tuna Auction 2010/10/24 21:12
Dear all,

How to get from Shinjuku Station to Tsukiji Market by using JR pass? Is it able to get there by 4.30am?

It stated that for Tsukiji market tuna auction, only open to 140 tourists per day & need to register as early as 4.30am. Is is possible for me to register or book 1 day earlier at Osakana Fukyu Center?

Thanks!
by Desmond Ho  

tsukiji 2010/10/25 10:32
How to get from Shinjuku Station to Tsukiji Market by using JR pass? Is it able to get there by 4.30am?

I'm afraid the trains do not operate that early in the morning. Your only option is to take a taxi which will be rather expensive (about 3800 yen). You may also want to consider changing hotels to somewhere closer to the market.

Otherwise you can take a combination of train and subway (not fully covered by the JR pass) which would arrive near Tsukiji about 5:10am, possibly too late to get in for the auctions.

It stated that for Tsukiji market tuna auction, only open to 140 tourists per day & need to register as early as 4.30am. Is is possible for me to register or book 1 day earlier at Osakana Fukyu Center?

No, it is first come first serve on the day of the visit only.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Hotel Le Daiba near there? 2010/10/25 17:18
I'm staying at Hotel Le Daiba on the first 2 days. Is it nearby? Can walk to there? If so how long will it take?

Any other option for me to get there from Hotel Le daiba? By JR?

How about if i going there from shinjuku station? (i stay at shinjuku area on 5th - 7th day)

Thanks!
by Desmond Ho rate this post as useful

tsukiji 2010/10/25 17:57
I'm staying at Hotel Le Daiba on the first 2 days. Is it nearby? Can walk to there? If so how long will it take?

Its much closer but still a 6.5km walk. Perhaps a taxi from there would be best. It would cost around 2800 yen.

Any other option for me to get there from Hotel Le daiba? By JR?

No, the trains in Tokyo do not run early enough to arrive at Tsukiji by 4:30. Your only options are to walk or take a taxi.

How about if i going there from shinjuku station? (i stay at shinjuku area on 5th - 7th day)

Wasn't this your original question?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Good Luck... 2010/11/4 21:39
Really, even 4:30am is likely too late to register. I'd recommend getting there for 3:30-4:00am if you're going to bother at all. You can not get there in time by train, as many don't start running until around 5am.

To be honest, I wouldn't really recommend going for the tuna auction. It's just not worth the trouble and cost to get there. If you go to Tsukiji around 6am-7am, though, there are plenty of shops in the area with some of the freshest sushi you'll ever sample. I would go to Tsukiji for that alone, but don't expect to spend a lot of time there. But don't expect to be allowed to take photos anywhere. I had to hide my camera in my purse to get shots of anything without the shopkeepers telling me to put it away.

Also if you're thinking of doing the "gaijin drunk trek" to Tsukiji, I'd respectfully like to ask you not to. When I went there were a bunch of drunk tourists on my train and it was a humiliating experience (even more so because I was with a group of Japanese friends). For the sake of those of us who actually live, work, and study long-term in Japan and don't want to be scowled at by the locals, please be respectful.

I hope you enjoy your trip, though. Tokyo is a lovely place. If you're traveling outside of Tokyo, though, I'd recommend checking out fish markets other than Tsukiji, as it has become very rigid with it's rules for tourists over the years. There's a great one in Kanazawa if you make it out to Ishikawa
by TokyoGenevieve (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread