Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mt. Koya Temple Souji-in or San-bo-in 2010/11/4 17:11
We have narrowed our search for temple stays in Mt. Koya. Something we hear a lot is how cold it can be at a temple stay so heat has been an important factor. We also prefer western toilets and our own bath would be nice -but we are open to reserving a nice bath also. We are interested in the morning prayer service and understand some are more elaborate than others. Comfort is still important we don't need western beds as we are pleased with the japensese tatami rooms. We are attempting to choose between the above because they are smaller and more intimate, but seem to have the things we are looking for. Has anyone stayed at either one or have any thoughts? If you had photos to post that would be great! Thank you in advance. Our trip is in April.
by Vin and Elle (guest)  

... 2010/11/6 15:56
We also prefer western toilets and our own bath would be nice -but we are open to reserving a nice bath also.

You might want to consider visiting Koyasan in a daytrip from Osaka or Kyoto. Western comfort and private baths, in particular, run counter to the idea of a Japanese temple lodging.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Another possibility 2010/11/6 22:53
I can't speak to the two temples mentioned, but the hanare at the Shojoshin-in would answer your needs. This is a private guest lodge just inside the entrance to the temple grounds. It has a choice of toilet facilities, both western and Japanese, and a private cypress (I think) wood tub. There are heaters in the two of the rooms (the hanare has three), and they're effective. There was also a heater at the morning Shingon service, and in the room at which we ate. Incidentally, the meals were wonderful. The hanare isn't inexpensive, but worth it given your desires. The Shojoshin-in has another advantage - it's right next door to the Okunoin, which is one of the main reasons to visit Koyasan in the first place.
by koniero rate this post as useful

Mt. Koya Temple Souji-in or San-bo-in 2011/1/18 09:52
Hi
I have used a company called Japanese Guest Houses each time I've gone to Koyasan and have had great experiences. I have not stayed at this temple but would imagine it is nice. The customer service reps at Japanese Guest Houses will be able to answer all of your questions.

Gassho
by Lawrell rate this post as useful

reply to this thread