Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Arashiyama Hanatorou 2010 Itinerary 2010/11/8 00:20
Hi Guys!

I will be in Kyoto in December and luckily it coincides with Arashiyama Hanatorou so I plan to be in Arashiyama on the 1st day of Hanatorou (Dec 10th)for the whole day until the Hanatorou ends that evening. I hope someone would be able to give me feedback on the itinerary below :

Arrival via Keifuku Arashiyama before lunch - Cross Togetsu-kyo Bridge and have a picnic lunch on the other side of the river (my last trip there were vendors selling food stuffs which we bought and ate by the river, hopefully that still goes on) - Cross back to the north - Turn left and walk along the river before turning right and walk away from the river passing Tenryu-ji and walk along the Bamboo Grove to Okochi Sanso. (I had been to Tenryuji before so probably give it a miss this time) - Ride Tarokko Train from Arashiyama Station to Kameoka and back to Arashiayama Station - Walk northward to Jojakko-ji Temple then onwards to Nison-In Temple to wait for Hanatorou to begin - start Hanatorou walk south passing Rakushisha, Jojakkoji, Okochi Sanso, Bamboo Grove, Nonomiya Shrine, Tenryuji until the main strip. Dinner at one of the restaurants - After dinner continue south towards the river.

The only temple/villa that I will visit will be Okochi Sanso and perhaps Jojakko-ji Temple.

1. Do you think this itinerary is feasable?

2. If we board the Tarokko Train from Tarokko Arashiyama Station, wouldn't it mean that we won't have anywhere to sit (since that station is not the starting station?

3. I read that advance tickets can be bought from JR West stations. Are the seats pre-allocated or is it free seating?

4. I see from the train schedule, if we intend to catch the same train right back to Arashiyama, it leaves 5 minutes afterwards. Is that enough time for us to get off the train and join the queue to re-board the train?

5. At 5pm in the middle of December is it already dark or just twilight?

Thanks,
Mel
by Melanie Putra  

... 2010/11/8 08:14
1. Do you think this itinerary is feasable?

It is quite busy, considering that you do not start until lunch, but if you organize well and move relatively quickly, it can be done.

If we board the Tarokko Train from Tarokko Arashiyama Station, wouldn't it mean that we won't have anywhere to sit (since that station is not the starting station?

No, don't worry. All seats are numbered and reserved. But it means that you better buy the ticket ahead of time.

I read that advance tickets can be bought from JR West stations. Are the seats pre-allocated or is it free seating?

See above.

I see from the train schedule, if we intend to catch the same train right back to Arashiyama, it leaves 5 minutes afterwards. Is that enough time for us to get off the train and join the queue to re-board the train?

Yes.

At 5pm in the middle of December is it already dark or just twilight?

Sunset in Kyoto is 16:45. Depending on the cloud cover, it can still be a little bit twilighty or it could be completely dark already.

Also be warned that (unless if it is raining strongly) Arashiyama will be extremely crowded on that Friday evening. To a degree where it is difficult to move sometimes around bottlenecks.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/8 17:19
Hi Uji,

1. I thought since we will be in Arashiyama until Hantorou and with the itinerary mentioned it is better to arrive in Arashiyama for lunch ind order not to tire ourselves out too much. Actually we can arrive anytime since we don't have any other plan that day.. So if you recommend earlier then perhaps we can arrive at 10 and buy lunch box for picnic elsewhere. But where else (within my itinerary) is a good spot for a picnic aside from along the river?
2. When you said buy the ticket ahead of time, how far ahead is safe? We will arrive Kyoto Dec 3rd so we can buy as early as a week prior to Dec 10th.
3. Taking note of your warning about Arashiyama being extremely crowded on that Friday 10th evening... We will be in Kyoto until the morning of Monday 13th. Do you think it is better for us to go to Arashiyama saturday or sunday instead? I chose friday since I thought it may be better than the weekend...
by Melanie Putra rate this post as useful

... 2010/11/8 19:02
So if you recommend earlier then perhaps we can arrive at 10 and buy lunch box for picnic elsewhere.

It is extremely difficult to judge the pace of travel of somebody. It differs tremendously. But if you are a person who generally prefers a slow pace of travel, coming a little bit earlier might be nice.

But where else (within my itinerary) is a good spot for a picnic aside from along the river?

Definitely the parks along the river would be the best spot for a picnic.

When you said buy the ticket ahead of time, how far ahead is safe?

Friday afternoons should not be as busy as weekends, so I do not suspect that the situation will be too extreme. But if you have a certain departure in mind (it seems you do), then I recommend to make reservations as early as possible. That means, as soon as you enter the service area of JR West (Kyoto/Osaka/Okayama/Hiroshima/Kanazawa). But I feel that you should probably not have any problems making reservations one day in advance.

Taking note of your warning about Arashiyama being extremely crowded on that Friday 10th evening...

During the late afternoon and evening, that is. During the day, it is probably not extreme yet, because many people are still at work or in school.

We will be in Kyoto until the morning of Monday 13th. Do you think it is better for us to go to Arashiyama saturday or sunday instead? I chose friday since I thought it may be better than the weekend...

It is difficult to judge. The evenings will probably be similarly busy on Fridays and Saturdays. Probably somewhat less busy on Sundays. But during the day, Saturday and Sunday will be much busier than Friday. Furthermore, the weather has a big effect, too. Weather aside, I personally would go on Friday.
by Uji rate this post as useful

on that topic... 2010/11/8 19:18
we arrive on the evening of the 18th, so we are planning on heading over to Arashiyama for the 19th which I think is the closing night. Do you understand that to be particularly busy? I was thinking to go over for a late lunch/afternoon tea and hang around until the lanterns come on. Sorry to hijack...
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread