Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nagano Snow Monkey Park 2010/11/8 22:12
I am thinking of visiting the Nagano Snow Monkey Park in Feb next year as a day trip from Tokyo.

It seems like the route to the park is 30 minutes away on foot from where the bus drops people off. I will be going alone so are there going to be clear signs along the way for directions to the park?

Also, if I leave Tokyo at 9am and plan to spend 1-2 hours at the park only, what time would I realistically be back in Tokyo the same day?

Thanks!
by kazuya2010  

... 2010/11/9 08:31
I will be going alone so are there going to be clear signs along the way for directions to the park?

There is a large sign where the trail enters the forest. It is at the very back of the small group of buildings that make up Kanbayashi Onsen. Once you enter the forest, there is no way to get lost.

Also, if I leave Tokyo at 9am and plan to spend 1-2 hours at the park only, what time would I realistically be back in Tokyo the same day?

Below is a sample itinerary:

09:20 depart Tokyo by shinkansen
11:05 arrive Nagano Station
11:15 depart Nagano Station by Nagaden bus
11:56 arrive Kanbayashi Onsen-guchi bus stop
12:45 arrive at the monkey park
14:20 depart the monkey park
15:10 depart Kanbayashi Onsen-guchi by Nagaden bus
16:05 arrive Nagano Station
16:18 depart Nagani Station by shinkansen
18:14 arrive Tokyo

You can't allow to get lost at Nagano Station, as you have only ten minutes from the shinkansen's arrival to the bus' departure.

Also note that only monkey loving photographers are likely to want to spend more than an hour at the park. The average tourist's staying time is considerably shorter. Maybe 30 minutes.

If the entire side trip sounds like too much effort for just an hour at the monkey park, I recommend to consider taking a bath in nearby Shibu Onsen or seeing something else in the region or in Nagano.
by Uji rate this post as useful

tag onto a ski/snobo trip 2010/11/9 14:40
I agree...bit much to come just for that...Great as a day trip to tag onto a ski/snobo trip. There are lots of great ski areas near there. We did the monkey park on the way home after a 3 day ski trip in shiga kogen, it was perfect, and a lovely stroll through the woods to get there from the bus stop.
Take a good camera! you can get very very close to the monkeys, they dont even care they are so bored by tourists.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread