Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

From Sapporo to Narita 2010/11/9 03:31
Hi everyone,

I'm going to take trains from Sapporo to Narita on Jan 6.

Below are the trains recommended by Hyperdia for my travel.

Can I get help from everyone here to see if all the trains below can be taken using JR pass?

Also, how do I do advance reservation even before I reach japan?

The period I'm travelling is peak season and I do not want to miss my flight back to Singapore if I were to miss my train.

Thanks.

EXP. HAMANASU.
LTD.EXP TSUGARU 2.
SHINKANSEN HAYATE 4
Keisei Sky Liner 23
JR Tohoku Line.
LTD.EXP NARITA EXPRESS 25.
by mintprata  

... 2010/11/9 10:30
Due to the extension of the shinkansen in December, the correct journey will be as follows (Hyperdia does not show these changes yet):

Sapporo - (limited express or Hamanasu night train) - Hakodate - (limited express) - Shin-Aomori - (shinkansen) - Tokyo - (Narita Express) - Narita Airport

I recommend to fly, instead. There are several direct flights between Sapporo's Shin-Chitose Airport and Narita Airport.

Can I get help from everyone here to see if all the trains below can be taken using JR pass?

Yes, all the trains are covered. Except the berths on the Hamanasu night train. But seats and carpet cars are covered on the Hamanasu.

Also, how do I do advance reservation even before I reach japan?

It is not possible.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/9 17:32

Contrary to Uji's statement, the Keisei Sky Liner is not covered by the JR Rail Pass.

Also, I tried to duplicate the results you gave in Hyperdia without success, did you enter "Sapporo" and Narita Airport" direct? The Shinkansen Hayate 4 currently connects with Narita Express 21, not 23.

If you only want to travel by JR trains, just untick the "Private Railways" option in the "Search Details" section of Hyperdia.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/9 22:40
Thanks both!

Yes, I typed in Sapporo JR to Narita Airport.
Hyperdia is giving me a different result this time round.

Can I also get the advise if the connecting time for all my trains are very tight and if there is a tendency that I will miss the train?

Thanks

Sapporo JR 22:00hrs - AOMORI 5:39Hrs
By Exp Hamanasu

AOMORI 5:52hrs - HACHINOHE 6:48hrs
By Ltd. Exp Tsugaru2

HACHIONOHE 6:55hrs - TOKYO 9:51hrs
By Shinkansen Hayate 2

TOKYO 10:33hrs - NARITA AIRPORT TERMINAL 1
By Ltd. Exp Narita Express 19

And last question, because jan 6 seems to be a peak travelling season in Japan, what would you guys recommend me to gurantee a seat in the train since I cannot do any reservation before I arrive in japan.

Thanks sincerely!
by mintprata rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/10 00:38

Can I also get the advise if the connecting time for all my trains are very tight and if there is a tendency that I will miss the train?

Sapporo JR 22:00hrs - AOMORI 5:39Hrs
By Exp Hamanasu

AOMORI 5:52hrs - HACHINOHE 6:48hrs
By Ltd. Exp Tsugaru2

HACHIONOHE 6:55hrs - TOKYO 9:51hrs
By Shinkansen Hayate 2

TOKYO 10:33hrs - NARITA AIRPORT TERMINAL 1
By Ltd. Exp Narita Express 19

As Uji already stated, the times currently being given by Hyperdia will not be the same as those that will be in operation in January because of the extention of the Shinkansen line between Hachinohe and Shin Aomori.

Sapporo to Aomori: Not sure if the timing is being changed for this train or if it will be extended from Aomori to Shin Aomori. Currently there is a local train from Aomori at 06.12 to Shin Aomori, arriving at 06.16. Even if this was the only option, there is 15 minutes to change to the Shinkansen tracks, which is plenty of time.

Shin Aomori to Tokyo via Hayate: I think the numbering will change for this service (train 12?). anyway it leaves Shin Aomori at 06.31 and arrives 09.51 to Tokyo. Then, as before, 10.33 Narita Express 19 to Narita Airport. Conection time is over 30 minutes, so this is more than enough time between trains.

And last question, because jan 6 seems to be a peak travelling season in Japan, what would you guys recommend me to gurantee a seat in the train since I cannot do any reservation before I arrive in japan.

I would exchange your JR Rail Pass Voucher and make your reservations as soon as you arrive in Japan.

. 2010/11/10 00:47
As Uji already stated, the times currently being given by Hyperdia will not be the same as those that will be in operation in January because of the extention of the Shinkansen line between Hachinohe and Shin Aomori.

What does it mean by extension?

[gs]Sapporo to Aomori: Not sure if the timing is being changed for this train or if it will be extended from Aomori to Shin Aomori. Currently there is a local train from Aomori at 06.12 to Shin Aomori, arriving at 06.16. Even if this was the only option, there is 15 minutes to change to the Shinkansen tracks, which is plenty of time.[ge]

Is Aomori = Shin Aomori?
In your suggestion, do you mean Aomori -- Shin Aomori -- Hachinohe

Can you also please enlighten me on how the train station will be like? Is the shinkansen track usually just across the platform or it requires walking out of one station into another station?

Thanks again.
by mintprata rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/10 02:13
What does it mean by extension?

Extension/extended = Made longer.

Currently the Tohoku Shinkansen line terminates at Hachinohe, from December 4th the terminating station will be further north at Shin Aomori station:

Is Aomori = Shin Aomori?
In your suggestion, do you mean Aomori -- Shin Aomori -- Hachinohe

No, Aomori and Shin Aomori are two different stations about 4 minutes apart by train. You don't have to concern yourself about Hachinohe, you will not need to change trains there. The Hayate Shinkansen will leave from Shin Aomori. Trains from Hakodate that used to terminate at Aomori will now continue on and terminate at Shin Aomori. I would expect the Hamanasu from Sapporo also to terminate at Shin Aomori, but I can't find any confirmation online.

Can you also please enlighten me on how the train station will be like? Is the shinkansen track usually just across the platform or it requires walking out of one station into another station?

As the station is still a month from opening, no station plan is available, but the tracks run diagonally, with the Shinkansen track running above the JR Ou Line. It will just be a matter of taking an escalator up to and transfering thru the the Shinkansen gates and up to the Shinkansen platforms. Here is a short video of a train arriving via the Ou line from Aomori. Go to about the 3 minute mark to see the new station from the outside:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLVYZ5WSCEI

reply to this thread