Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What to do in Tokyo for Christmas? 2010/11/21 16:21
Hi all,
Thank you for reading this.

I am visiting Tokyo this Winter to experience Christmas season there. I have been to Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto recently in May. But that previous trip i only had 2 days in Tokyo, so i thought of spending a longer time in Tokyo this Winter..

I was thinking if there is anything interesting or any suggestions to do/visit in Tokyo during Winter. I believe end December is quite cold in Tokyo (maybe 5 degree celsius?)

Besides the usual Tokyo tourist attraction spots like Asakusa, Harajuku, Roppongi, Shinjuku, Akihabara etc.. is there any other really nice places that visitors should visit during Winter? or maybe.. places specified to Christmas?

I read from website that there will be beautiful Christmas lighting trees in Ginza and Roppongi.. but i am not sure what else is there to visit in Tokyo..

Is it true that during Winter, Japanese prefer to stay at home (to be near the heater) to keep warm rather than go out and suffer the cold and dryness?

Also, will the roads in Tokyo be filled with snow? From my understanding, it seldoms snows in Tokyo.. I actually wish that Tokyo would snow this Christmas..

Essentially, i wish for friends to provide suggestions on places to visit and things to do in Tokyo during Winter (christmas season).

Thank you very much for your suggestions!!
by juzsmilez  

Some information 2010/11/23 09:37
Hi!

December is quite cold in Tokyo (maybe 5 degree celsius?)
Average minimum temperature 5 degree celsius(high 12Žj

is there any other really nice places that visitors should visit during Winter? or maybe.. places specified to Christmas?
Tokyo X'mas Illuminations
http://illumi.enjoytokyo.jp/tokyo/

Is it true that during Winter, Japanese prefer to stay at home (to be near the heater) to keep warm rather than go out and suffer the cold and dryness?
I think It depends on age. Young people are not like that.

Also, will the roads in Tokyo be filled with snow?
Extremely rare!
by naniwanojoe rate this post as useful

... 2010/11/23 09:55
A list of illumination spots in English:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2303.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

December 2010/11/23 12:10
In 12 years in Tokyo I have never seen a white Christmas here. It doesn't usually snow (if it does at all) until January or February and even then it doesn't often settle.

There are just as many people out and about in December as there are at other times of year.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

My visit 2010/11/23 14:13
I am visiting Tokyo,Japan for Christmas to
so I can learn more about my culture.I would
visit the mall and local markets so I can meet the nice people.You will find many tourist this time of year so don't think you will only see japanese people.Have fun.I know I will.
by Ming lei (guest) rate this post as useful

thank u 2010/11/26 00:57
thank you all for the help provided!

the christmas illumination website is wonderful. =)

Can i just enquire about one thing..
Is it hard to travel during winter? with all the huge jacket/windcoat/think aircoat (whatever it is called).

Is it expected to remove the thick coat when eating at a restaurant or some normal food places? or can we simply eat with our thick coats on..?

And also.. are there many internet cafes around in Asakura area (near Tawaramachi Tokyo station). i realize that the ryokan i am staying at does not has free wireless and has computer terminal (not sure how many, probably only 1)... so i was thinking if there are available internet cafes in Asakusa area so i can take note of..

It would be greatly appreciated if you know the price/min of the internet cafe..

thank you for your help!!
by juzsmilez rate this post as useful

Have a nice trip 2010/11/26 10:02
Hi! juzsmilez-san

Is it hard to travel during winter? with all the huge jacket/windcoat/think aircoat (whatever it is called).

No,I don't think so.

Is it expected to remove the thick coat when eating at a restaurant or some normal food places? or can we simply eat with our thick coats on..?

Usually people take off their coat at a restaurant,Except for the outdoor food court and food stalls.

are there many internet cafes around in Asakusa area.near Tawaramachi station.

http://goo.gl/maps/q4PH
by naniwanojoe rate this post as useful

too hot to wear a coat inside. 2010/11/26 13:01
You can certainly eat with your coat on if you want to, but you will find that most places are quite strongly heated and that you would soon start sweating with a thick coat on inside.

The 5 degrees you have mentioned is more the overnight low rather than the day time temperature, which is usually over 10 degrees. Today for example the high is 17, so much too warm for a down coat!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread