Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

17 day itinerary advice needed 2010/11/24 00:46
hi everyone, this is the 17 day itinerary we are planning for feb 2011. we will meet up with a japanese friend so shouldnt be a problem communicating there.

i have several questions:

1. is it possible to go straight to kawaguchi-ko from takayama? or need to go back to nagoya?

2. should we stay in hakone and make day trip to kawaguchi-ko or worth it to stay a night each?

3. is nagoya worth staying a night? or head straight to takayama?

note: theres nothing for kyoto as japanese friend will plan that.

Perth Osaka 2:40pm
Jan 30th Day 0
Check in and familiarize/food and shops (Stay near dotonbori)

Jan 31st Day 1
Osaka Aquarium
Downtown shopping (kita/umeda)
bars+clubs

Feb 1st Day 2
Osaka-jo and surrounding shopping
bars+clubs

Feb 2nd Day3
Universal world

Feb 3rd Day 4 Osaka Kyoto (morning bus)
Feb 4th Day 5
Feb 5th Day 6
Feb 6th Day 7 Kyoto Nagoya
Check out Nagoya, staying for the night

Feb 7th Day 8 Nagoya Takayama (early morning bus)

Feb 8th Day 9
Day trip: Shirakawa-go – Ogimachi

Feb 9th Day 10 Nagoya Mt Fuji (morning shinkansen)

Feb 9th – 10th Day 10-11 Side trip:
(shinkansen) – Odawa – (bus) - Hakone - overnight Hakone – (bus) Kawaguchi-ko – (bus) - Tokyo

Feb 11th Day 12 Kawaguchi-ko Tokyo (Leave in arvo)

Feb 12th Day 13
Day trip to Nikko or Disneyland/sea

Feb 13th Day 14
Studio Ghibli
Akihabara

Feb 14th Day 15
Disneyland/sea or Tokyo Midtown or Shinjuku + (bars and clubs)

Feb 15th Day 16
Tsukiji Fish Market
Imperial palace
Ginza district
Roppongi

Feb 16th Day 17
Shibuya
Harajuku
Omotesando

February 17th 10:45am CX501
Tokyo Hong Kong 3:05pm

by Leonx  

... 2010/11/24 09:49
Instead of traveling Kyoto - (via Nagoya) - Takayama - Shirakawago - Takayama, you could also travel: Kyoto - (via Kanazawa) - Shirakawago - Takayama

is it possible to go straight to kawaguchi-ko from takayama? or need to go back to nagoya?

It is possible: Takayama - (bus) - Matsumoto - (train) - Otsuki - (train) - Kawaguchiko

But due to transfers, it might be slower than travel via Nagoya. You would have to look into it.

should we stay in hakone and make day trip to kawaguchi-ko or worth it to stay a night each?

I recommend to stay at each place. It reduces travel time and gives you an early morning at Kawaguchiko (when visibility of the mountain tends to be best). The only possible argument against it is luggage.

is nagoya worth staying a night?

Only if there are attractions in Nagoya that seem attractive enough to you:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2155.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

nothing to add 2010/11/24 16:32
Uji appears to have pointed out the main issues.

Nagoya is a big modern town with nothing much to offer if you are not in "night life" and much of it is quite restrictive to Japanese.

If I were you, I would skip it.
by iwander rate this post as useful

thank you! 2010/11/24 23:05
thanks! i will take that into note. but i was under the impression that staying at shirakawago was quite expensive hence why i wanted to head to takayama first to settle down and use as base.

2 more questions:

1. any recommendations on onsens or hotel+onsen in kawaguchiko with a view of mt fuji. i went 4 years ago and stayed in one like that, there was a nice outdoor onsen but i dont remember the name.

2. Will we definitely be OK with just 2 JR ticket purchases for kyoto to nagoya or where-ever and takayama to kawaguchiko?

thanks!
by Leonx rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/25 01:31
just checked via hyperdia, it seems much easier and quicker to travel from kyoto to nagoya then takayama. whole journey takes 180mins where as going to kanazawa seems like a big detour. i could be wrong though.

also probably wont stop in nagoya so we just hop onto connecting train.

... 2010/11/25 08:58
it seems much easier and quicker to travel from kyoto to nagoya then takayama. whole journey takes 180mins where as going to kanazawa seems like a big detour. i could be wrong though.

Kyoto to Takayama is faster via Nagoya (3 hours). But if you travel via Kanazawa, you can be in Shirakawago in 3 hours and then continue to Takayama. This reduces total travel time a little bit. Luggage can be stored at the Shirakawago bus stop. It is just a suggestion. If you like the Nagoya version better, it certianly has its advantages, too.

. 2010/11/25 13:41
ah i see. i was just going by hyperdia for the distance and times.

also roughly how long does it take from takayama to kawaguchiko? hyperdia results said 7.5 hrs :(

... 2010/11/26 08:15
also roughly how long does it take from takayama to kawaguchiko? hyperdia results said 7.5 hrs :(

Hyperdia does not include bus lines!

The simpler route (especially recommended in case you have a Japan Rail Pass) is to take trains from Takayama via Nagoya to Mishima Station and then the bus to Kawaguchiko. It takes about 6 hours.

And the more complicated route is the one earlier listed via Matsumoto. With good connections, that route could theoretically be a little bit faster. But I am not sure whether there are good connections.

notes 2010/12/4 11:15
Hello, only twp noted from my POV:
Feb 3rd Day 4 Osaka Kyoto (morning bus)
Feb 4th Day 5
Feb 5th Day 6
Feb 6th Day 7 Kyoto Nagoya
Check out Nagoya, staying for the night

KYOTO IS WORTH VISIT FOR 5-7 DAYS, I WOULD DEF. SAY 4 WHOLE DAYS - just in case you could & wanted to rethink

Feb 12th Day 13
Day trip to Nikko or Disneyland/sea

EVENTHOUGH DISNEYLS WAS A NICE FEW HOURS OFF OUR BUSY ITINERARY THIS SPRING, NIKKO IS A MUST SEE IF YOU HAVE 1 DAY TO GO THERE - AT LEAST

Those were my personal notes only :-), I wish you to enjoy Japan

by JETELINHO rate this post as useful

. 2010/12/6 03:40
thanks for you reply!

unfortunately i dont think we can change much, osaka is getting the equal amount of days (3.5days) and cant really take away from takayama/shirakawago and kawaguchiko. and 6 days in tokyo i think is not enough lol. but will definitely consider nikko, will consult with friends.

thanks again!

reply to this thread