Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

CAN bus and Shima Peninsula 2010/11/28 16:09
Hi Uji (or anyone else as well informed)
"can" you please, if possible, provide a bit more info re the CAN bus?
We would REALLY like to go to the Ise shrines, the rocks, and Mikimoto pearl island as a day trip from Nagoya, using a JR Pass from Nagoya to Ise
Ie: how frequently it runs?? Is it a "tourist" "hop on hop off" type bus, or a regular scheduled bus?
[Our family actually originates from Nagoya area: so we will be based there for a few days, doing family things, and also plan a day trip to Takayama and the Hida Village: aren't we spoilt..I love my family...]
Also, which order would you suggest, and where (location, not necessarily restaurant!) would you suggest a lunch (ramen sort of meal) stop?
Many thanks!!
by fmj  

CAN Bus 2010/11/29 13:17
by William5 rate this post as useful

Thanks William5 2010/11/29 13:49
Thanks william5: very helpful..would never have found that on my own!!!
Can you please advise time between places:
ie is it possible to arrive at Iseshi at 11am, go by bus to the 2 shrines, wedding rocks, and Mikimoto island, then back on a train by 3.20pm??
Sounds a bit ambitious to me, but just trying to get a handle on time we'll need.
Happy to have an onigiri lunch "on the run" if necessary
Many thanks!
by fmj rate this post as useful

PS 2010/11/29 13:58
PS as an afterthought to the above post:
could we consider the train back from Toba??
Hyperdia shows it leaving Toba at 3.11pm, or 4.08pm
SO start at Ise shi, get bus pass, go to Shrines, then rocks, and end up at Pearl Island: then back on train at Toba?
More sensible than the bus back to IseShi?
Plans......options.....thanks!!

too rush 2010/11/29 14:59
I don't think it's possible with such a tight schedule. Although the CAN Bus is a sort of hop on-and-off bus, it still runs on a schedule and you have to take into account the waiting time at each stop. We took the bus around 9.00 and were back at Ise-shi around 16.30 (we took Kintetsu rail back). Taking train back helps a bit, but still it's too rush, not my idea of having a enjoyable trip.

When going to Naiku, don't miss out Oharai-machi. In Mikimoto Pearl Island, the highlight is to watch the demonstration of the female ama divers and that also is on a daily schedule which will further affect the time of stay.

Excellent 2010/11/29 17:40
Excellent advice: so will re-jig accordingly: may not try to do it all: just means we need another trip another time!! Yay!!
Thanks so much.

Kii Peninsula 2010/11/30 00:07
Hi fmj

Sorry for the comment if it sounds a bit discouraging.

I notice that you're another captive fan of Japan like myself and my wife. Do visit Shima Peninsula on a separate trip, ideally combine it with the lovely Kii Peninsula. We had a memorable trip in that part of Japan for 5-6 days using just public transport. A rental car would allow a more in-depth exploration of the beauty of the region.

Happy Travel

YES!! 2010/11/30 11:20
Hi William5!!
Yes we are definitely hooked on Japan: my head is always there, either dreaming of past trips, or planning future ones, as well as thinking of family all the time. We are so spoilt when we travel to Japan.
Now we are looking at the less traditional tourist experiences, and areas less travelled, as well as fulfilling our tourist role as well!!
Your comments didn't detract at all: always up for any ideas, and need future plans all the time.
Cheers, and enjoy your future trips as well
Many thanks!!

one more 2010/12/1 15:46
Sorry : one more query

Are the buses (CAN and regular) ""LOOP"" buses or do they travel in both directions??

Just trying to work out a time and motion approach to our day

Figure we will go by train direct to Toba and Mikimoto Pearl island, pearl divers and lunch, then work backwards: just trying to see if the rocks then Inner shrine and Outer shrine is the order..may need to leave off the outer shrine and leave it for next trip..

Thanks william5!!!

CAN Bus 2010/12/1 23:21
Of course you can take the CAN bus from Toba back to Ise-shi. It's a good idea to leave Geku (outer shrine) last as it is less than 10 min walk from the Ise-shi rail station. You can play by ear to see whether you have time to go for it upon returning to Ise before taking the train back to Nagoya.

The following is the Toba to Ise-shi bus schedule, the first one is for weekdays while the second one is for Sat, Sun and public holidays:

http://www.sanco.co.jp/travel/canbus/weekday02.html
http://www.sanco.co.jp/travel/canbus/holiday02.html

stop for Toba Aquarium and Mikimoto Pearl Island is ’¹‰H…‘°ŠÙEƒ~ƒLƒ‚ƒg^Žì“‡
stop for Meoto-iwa wedding rocks and Futami is •v•wŠâ“ŒŒûE“ñŒ©ƒV[ƒoƒ‰ƒ_ƒCƒX‘O
stop for Naiku (inner shrine) is “à‹{‘O
stop for Geku (outer shrine) is ŠO‹{‘O

One thing to remember though, upon arriving in Toba go to the bus station and buy the bus pass first. It has some sight-seeing discount coupons, one of which is for the Mikimoto Pearl Island.

THANKS William5 2010/12/2 05:28
Fantastic...all set now...you've been a great help!!!

confirm 2010/12/4 10:48
I can only confirm with these few words that it is unlikely to see both shrines , wedded rocks & toba pearl island in some 4-5 hours as it takes approx. 45 mins. from the inner shrine to rocks & the bus does not run that offen.

I wish u enjoy the trip to Ise though, we had a very bad luck on weather there this spring so I hope you eill be luckier with it.

(+ you might also consider returning to nagoya by train straight from toba if you have to hurry - just a note though, enjoy!)
by JETELINHO rate this post as useful

Many thanks 2010/12/4 14:25
Many thanks...can see it wont be possible to do it all, so will be selective and save some for "next time"!!

reply to this thread