Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Tokaido Mainline 2010/12/1 15:02
Dear friends...

I will traveling to Hakone by JR Tokaido mainline from Shimbashi station.I inquiry about the clear direction that can guide me straight to the platform.Could anyone tell me the direction?

Is it a busy line if I go at 8.00 am on weekday?

Thanks,
by elhastuti (guest)  

. 2010/12/1 15:26
The Shinkansen doesn't stop at Shimbashi. Take the Yamanote Line to Shinagawa and transfer to the Shinkansen.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

JR Tokaido Main Line 2010/12/1 16:03
Thaks Tokyonet...
Sorry if I make ? mistake...I read from Japan guide that I can reach Odawara station by Local/Rapid JR Tokaido Main Line for 70-90 minutes (stop at Tokyo,Shimbashi,Shinagawa Station)...
Is JR Tokaido Main Line the same with Tokaido Shinkansen?

Thanks...
by elhastuti (guest) rate this post as useful

tokaido main line 2010/12/1 16:15
I will traveling to Hakone by JR Tokaido mainline from Shimbashi station.I inquiry about the clear direction that can guide me straight to the platform.Could anyone tell me the direction?

You can take the Tokaido Main Line directly from Shimbashi to Odawara. The first direct train around your desired departure time leaves at 8:13 and takes about 75 minutes to reach Odawara from where you will have to transfer to the Hakone Tozan Railway or buses into Hakone.

Also consider the Hakone Free Pass which might save you some money:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html

Is JR Tokaido Main Line the same with Tokaido Shinkansen?

No, the Tokaido Main Line is a regular commuter train line, while the Tokaido Shinkansen is a separate, parallel limited express line that runs on different tracks. You can take either to Odawara (the Shinkansen with a transfer at Tokyo Station). The difference is that shinkansen will be faster but more expensive, and its you may want to consider it if you have a JR Pass.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2010/12/2 09:47

It is somewhat busy with commuters who travel from Tokyo to Kawasaki and Yokohama, but nothing compared to the crowds on the trains in the opposite direction.
by Uji rate this post as useful

just follow the signs 2010/12/2 13:05
The platform is very clearly signposted, like in all JR stations. Once in the gate, look for the orange signs with "Tokaido Line, Shinagawa, Yokohama, Odawara" etc on them and follow them until you get onto the platform. It is not difficult at all.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread