Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan in April - best places for sakura? 2010/12/1 18:42
We're planning a trip to Japan in April 2011.

Is it likely that we can still catch sakura in these places on these dates? I know its not cast in stone, but an estimate is fine.

Yoshino - Apr 18
Takayama - Apr 20
Matsumoto - Apr 23

Thanks!

by PC (guest)  

... 2010/12/2 10:59
Is it likely that we can still catch sakura in these places on these dates?

Indeed, it is everything but cast in stone. Judging from average year dates:

Yoshino - Apr 18 - Likely
Takayama - Apr 20 - Likely
Matsumoto - Apr 23 - a little bit late but possible
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks, now a happy problem! 2010/12/2 11:14
Thanks Uji!

I now have a happy problem of how to fit all these places into my itinerary.
by PC (guest) rate this post as useful

........... 2010/12/2 14:42
We were In Takayama on 19th April 2008 and enjoyed the sakura bloom there.

Also the Wakening Drum (Okoshi Daiko) festival held on 19th & 20th April in nearby Hida Furukawa is an event we all enjoyed. Checkout this weblink -
http://www.city.hida.gifu.jp/kanko/foreign/en/maturi/furukawa_matsuri/...

Another side trip from Takayama, not to be missed is Shirakawa-go gassho village.

Certainly, it is always a tricky issue to fit these interesting places within an itinerary.
by CYC (guest) rate this post as useful

Yoshino 2010/12/3 02:05
The nice thing about Yoshino is that the different elevations there allow some flexibility. When the lower levels are finished, the upper will be in bloom. It's a great place, but expect crowds. If you have time, and if you're a history buff, visit Yoshimizujinja. You'll find Go-Daigo's audience room, his writing case, Benkei's weapons, and Yoshitsune's armor and helmet. Also Masashige's arrow case.
by koniero rate this post as useful

Thanks, more questions! 2010/12/3 13:09
Thanks everyone, for replying!

I have some more questions.

1) Which would you consider a better choice. Travelling from Takayama to Matsumoto via the Kurobe Alpine Route or travelling from Takaya to Matsumoto via rental car, taking the mountain road that is near Shirahone Onsen, Shin-Hotaka etc?

2) In Yoshino, would it more be practical to make this a day trip from Osaka or better to stay a night there?

3) If given a choice between spending three to four days in Shikoku's Iya Valley and walking the Kumano Kodo in the Kii peninsula, which would you think has more to see/do?

Thanks in advance for all your insights.

... 2010/12/3 13:17
Which would you consider a better choice. Travelling from Takayama to Matsumoto via the Kurobe Alpine Route or travelling from Takaya to Matsumoto via rental car, taking the mountain road that is near Shirahone Onsen, Shin-Hotaka etc?

Note that the Alpen Route is not open until April 17 and the Norinkura Skyline is not open until early May.

In Yoshino, would it more be practical to make this a day trip from Osaka or better to stay a night there?

Yes, it is an easy daytrip. And finding a bed in Yoshino during the cherry blossom season may prove difficult.

If given a choice between spending three to four days in Shikoku's Iya Valley and walking the Kumano Kodo in the Kii peninsula, which would you think has more to see/do?

I vote for Kumano, but this may be personal preference.

Thanks Uji - sorry, more questions! 2010/12/3 13:29
Thanks for such a prompt response!

To further clarify - would you do the Kumano Kodo by rental car or by public bus?

Not sure how easy it would be to find my way around from Shirahama/Tanabe to Yunomine since this is on a small road.

Also, my concern is that the stretch from Hongu to Shingu by boat would be difficult if I had a rental car because this means I would need to backtrack at the end of the 2hr boat ride. Have you done this before?

... 2010/12/3 14:10
To further clarify - would you do the Kumano Kodo by rental car or by public bus?

Either way is possible. The car is very convenient and efficient, except when you want to hike a trail or take the boat from A and B, and have to backtrack afterwards.

Bus service in the Kumano region is neither great nor bad. And thanks to the following website relatively easy to plan and use:
http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/transport/bus.html

Not sure how easy it would be to find my way around from Shirahama/Tanabe to Yunomine since this is on a small road.

There are not many roads. Hence, it is relatively easy to orient yourself, especially with a navigation system, which is installed into almost all rental cars these days. The roads are generally quite broad and easy to drive.

overnight 2010/12/4 01:13
Uji is right, getting a bed in Yoshino during the season will require you to reserve early. The Sakoya and Hounkan are nice. (Try the Japanese Guesthouses site). However, I think that by the time you take the train, the cable-car, get to the actual viewing areas, and then plan to get back, a day trip won't leave you much time to enjoy the scenery. My vote would be for overnight. And if you stay overnight, the various ryokan will pick you up at the station which will save time.
by koniero rate this post as useful

Matsumoto 2010/12/4 10:33
regarding Matsumoto, I was there April 14 2010 & sakuras were in full bloom then which was very nice watching them next to the castle & with Alps panorama behind.
I shall admit this spring was mentioned to be among the coldest ones in years in Japan ... though I have not exact stats - taking this into mind, April 24 might be late

nevertheless, I wish u to enjoy your trip, Matsumoto was def. worth visiting, we even managed to take a 3-4 hours trip to Narai which was nice too.

by JETELINHO rate this post as useful

Thank you very much! 2010/12/4 10:47
Just wanted to say thank you very much for being so prompt and helpful! You've really plugged the info gap for me. Thanks once again!

reply to this thread