Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hotel confirmation wo credit card info? 2010/12/6 10:11
Hi,
Got a question in regards to booking a hotel for my family vacation in Japan via the Internet,

I booked 3 different hotels for the various places I intended to go, and I was able to get an email confirmation of my booking. But what was odd, at least I thought it was, was that it only asked for my email, address etc - but without credit card information. Typically when I booked in the US, I am require to provide my credit info so as to secure the booking.

Is this normal process or procedure in Japan perhaps?

Thanks,
James
by James (guest)  

booking without creditcard 2010/12/6 10:38
I've had various hotels in Japan confirm bookings without taking payment info first. I was also surprised the first time it happened, but it wasn't a problem to pay for the room at checkin (or checkout depending on the hotel). Theoretically if you don't show up you are supposed to still pay for the room, but I'm not sure how they'd be able to collect.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Hotel confirmation 2010/12/6 10:43
James,

One of the nice things about Japan is the way that they don't assume everyone is a criminal. What you describe is normal procedure in Japan, and it's not that uncommon even for hotels not to take a credit card impression when you check in.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/12/6 13:55
Yllwsmrf-san, Dave-san,
Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Cheers,
James
by James (guest) rate this post as useful

Pay in cash 2010/12/6 17:10
Hello, Most hotels in Japan you pay in cash primarily, rather than by credit card (as it is a cash based society). Many do take credit card, depending on where you go, but you wouldn't have to worry about it until afterward. Although, some western hotels in Japan will take your credit card number up front. Depends on the hotel.
by AshleyJapan rate this post as useful

Credit card info 2010/12/7 00:24
Most hotel me & my family stayed in did not require credit card info. Some did when we tried to book through their English reservation page but if we used their Japanese reservation page, the info wasn't required.
by lina219 (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/12/7 08:52
Indeed, hotels requiring credit card confirmation are the exception in Japan. Usually only some international chains like Hyatt do.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread