Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shin-hodaka onsen 2010/12/12 06:15
My friend and I (both girls) are going on a day trip to Okuhida late December, and we would love to visit one of the onsens there. In particular, we're thinking of visiting Suimeikan Karukaya.

I've read that for some mixed baths swimwear is actually allowed inside the water. Is this the case for the outdoor mixed bath at Suimeikan Karukaya? We're interested in the view that this one offers, but we're not really comfortable being naked around people of the opposite gender...........

They also offer private baths to the daytime visitors - i assume swimwear is not allowed in this case? Do they have a private changing and cleaning-up area then?

Thank you!

by escapist (guest)  

... 2010/12/12 08:59
I've read that for some mixed baths swimwear is actually allowed inside the water.

They are extremely rare.

Is this the case for the outdoor mixed bath at Suimeikan Karukaya?

No. You have to enter the bath naked.

We're interested in the view that this one offers, but we're not really comfortable being naked around people of the opposite gender...........

Most of them are gender separated. Even the Suimeikan Karukaya has a woman-only pool. However, the main bath is mixed.

They also offer private baths to the daytime visitors - i assume swimwear is not allowed in this case?

No, swimmwear is not allowed in Japanese hot springs. Whether it is a private or public bath does not matter.

Do they have a private changing and cleaning-up area then?

The changing area is almost always gender separated even in mixed baths. With exceptions.

As for cleaning up areas, they are usually in the same area as the baths, i.e. they are usually mixed in mixed baths. And separated in separated baths.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Embrace the Onsen! 2011/2/17 14:06
You should embrace the local custom and go naked. Or else possibly rent a private onsen.

Sorry. Swimwear in an onsen is disrespectful to the tradition and nature of the hot springs.

If it is too uncomfortable perhaps goto a hotspring in your country?

Embrace the traditions of the hot springs, they are strangers anyway. It is better than trying to impose the western (puritanized) values on a different country.

by Taro (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread