Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Going around Ohara, Kyoto 2011/1/9 11:53
Hi, I will be staying a night at Oohara no Sato in March and I really need some help when it comes to getting around Kyoto and Ohara.

1) Is it easy/convenient/recommended to go around Kyoto by bus? Is it common for the buses to be late/no show?

2) Is it practical to walk, instead of taking buses around Kyoto? E.g. from Heian Shrine to Sanjusangendo?

3) I will be staying in Oohara no Sato and from the map on their website, the place looks far from the bus station. Does anyone know approximately how long it takes to walk to Oohara no Sato? What other transportation is there in Ohara?

Thank you so much!
by Hikari (guest)  

... 2011/1/9 12:36
Is it easy/convenient/recommended to go around Kyoto by bus?

Whenever possible, I recommend to use rail bound transportation instead of buses, because the buses tend to be slow and are often packed, especially in central Kyoto. For example, for access to Ohara, I recommend to take the subway or train to northern Kyoto and catch the bus from there rather than catching the bus from Kyoto Station or central Kyoto.

Is it practical to walk, instead of taking buses around Kyoto? E.g. from Heian Shrine to Sanjusangendo?

Yes, walking is a very pleasant way to explore Kyoto. But the distances can add up to a lot of walking. So, it depends on the person. Heian Shrine to Sanjusangendo, for example, is a lot of walking, but there are many interesting sights and streets in between, making for a very pleasant day of sightseeing.

I will be staying in Oohara no Sato and from the map on their website, the place looks far from the bus station.

It isn't. Just about 800 meters or 10-15 minute walk from Ohara bus stop.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Philosopher's Trail 2011/1/14 11:57
Thank you so much!

How long does it take to cover the Philosopher's Trail? My intention is to

1)Take a bus from near Shiyakushomae bus stop to Ginkakuji

2)Complete the Philosopher's Trail all the way to Nanzenji

3)Walk from Nanzenji to Heian Shrine

4)Walk to Yasaka Shrine

5)Walk to Kiyomizudera

6)Walk back to Shoren-in for the Hanatoro Festival in March.

Does this look practical to you or is it too much walking for one day?

Thanks heaps!
by hikari (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/1/15 07:15
How long does it take to cover the Philosopher's Trail?

It is about two kilometers. 30 minutes without stopping at an average pace. About 45 minutes from Ginkakuji to Nanzenji.

Does this look practical to you or is it too much walking for one day?

If you don' mind walking a lot, it is a very pleasant route. First I thought that backtracking from Kiyomizudera to Shorenin is not a good idea, but actually during Hanatoro it is a very pleasant thing to do, especially if you time your visit to Kiyomizudera shortly before regular closing time. That allows you to see the Higashiyama area once during daytime (on the way to Kiyomizudera) and once during Hanatoro illumination (on the way back to Shorenin).

But it is a lot of walking! You need to be a good walker.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread