Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to make a good first impression? 2011/1/29 19:08
Hi, I'm a teenage girl of Asian (not Japanese) descent, going to Japan to study for about a semester. As a foreigner, and an Asian at that (because I heard they look down to their fellow Asians?), how do I make a good impression especially to my Japanese classmates girls and boys?

I was just wondering because for me I look rather plain. I am small in stature, and quite light skinned (but not white). I am not girly/vain (hell I don't even know how to put make-up on!) which is actually one of the reasons why I don't feel like my age or at least, like my other female friends. I have this impression that Japanese girls love to always dress up and put make-up on and so I'm quite afraid that not only girls but guys as well would cast me off.

I am not also the stereotypical (or so they say) "kawaii" who dresses up in fancy skirts and speaks so cute with small voice?

Though my friends and family would be quite surprised with how much dressing up and make-up will change my looks, I still am hesitant to change my "personality" (or at least the way I've been used to) just because I will be in Japan. I may try and there's the chance I might like it but...

Or maybe this is a good opportunity to experiment?

Nonetheless, how do I make a good impression to them in our first meeting? How should I be "interesting" but not too overboard at the same time?

Thank you!
by mad-donna in trouble (guest)  

. 2011/1/29 21:30
"I am not also the stereotypical (or so they say) "kawaii" who dresses up in fancy skirts and speaks so cute with small voice?"

Despite what Western media says, this type of attitude in Japan is very rare and mostly laughed at by other Japanese people. Most teenage girls can be quite raucous and impolite, and very few have silly little anime voices.

I also wouldn't worry about impressing boys, because once Japanese kids get to the age of 13 they stop communicating with the opposite sex. It wouldn't matter if you were extremely attractive, the boys would still ignore you, Japanese or foreign. The way they choose to communicate is via email on mobile/cell phones. It's quite surprising how many kids consider themselves to be dating, despite the fact that all they do is send emails to each other. Some kids that are "dating" completely ignore each other at school because they find it embarrassing if their friends see them talking to the opposite sex.

My recommendation is to just be yourself and don't try to be Japanese. People will either like you or dislike you. The fact you're a foreigner will be exciting for some kids, so they'll want to talk to you. Others will be frightened of you and want nothing to do with you.

I wouldn't worry about fashion too much, since school uniforms need to be worn Mon-Sat. Just wear your own clothes in other circumstances rather than trying to be Japanese. Again, the fact you have different fashion will excite some kids and not others.

It's difficult to speak to someone such as yourself, because you're young and think you need to change and do something different. I understand, because for all kids it's important to feel popular. But if you're just yourself, people are more likely to like you. If you try to be something you're not, sure, some may like you for it, but most will laugh at you. Speak to any person that has lived in Japan for a long time and they will tell you that the last thing Japanese people respect or like are foreigners trying to be Japanese.
by Scubs (guest) rate this post as useful

college 2011/1/29 21:50
I forgot to mention I'm entering a University so I'd have to wear my own clothes everyday. They say girls wear skirt everyday but I'm really not like that at all. Sure I would wear them but only when there are special occasion that calls for it.

Thank you for your advice! :D
by lastmockingbird rate this post as useful

. 2011/1/29 22:21
Nah, they don't wear short skirts every day, and even when they do the tendency is to wear thigh high socks or stockings. Knee length skirts are also worn frequently, as are longer skirts to the ankle.

It's true that a lot of popular Tokyo fashion revolves around wearing short skirts and flimbsy tops, but this is magazine and TV fashion. Very few people in reality wear that stuff.
by Scubs (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/1/30 19:49
mad-donna in trouble or lastmockingbird,

As suggested, no, Japanese teens do not talk or look like anime characters. That's why anime characters talk and look like that; because that illusion doesn't exist.

Now that it's winter, almost all college girls I see are wearing jeans. You see a girl in mini skirts, and you know she's still a high school student.

My advise to you is to stop thinking that " they look down to their fellow Asians," because that's gonna show if you think about it that way. Be happy, be positive, keep smiling. Then people will naturally assume you are a happy and positive person and would want to be with you.

The Japanese are generally shy, though. And they don't sqeeze each other or hold each other's hands like many Asians might do. That's just how it is here. They honor other people's "territory." It's not that they don't like you. It might take a while, but I hope you find someone with mutual interest.

Have fun!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

photos 2011/1/30 19:54
Me again. By the way, have you taken a look at your university's website? I'm sure you will see some photos of its students. The following Google image search on the keyword ‘åŠw¶ might also give you an idea of how they usually look.

http://www.google.co.jp/images?um=1&hl=ja&rls=com.microsoft%3A*%3AIE-S...
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

sounds cool 2011/1/30 20:18
lucky I'm entering HS so I won't need to bother that much with skirts. I just thought HS there wear civilian clothes just like here in my country.

@Lastmockingbird, I don't understand your post. And I find it rude that you're branching from my original post..

@Uco and Scubs, thank you! :D

Hope I do well. :)
by mad-donna in trouble (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/1 00:33
sorry. I thought of posting the same question but I forgot to post my own and took off from your OP. XD

My bad.
by lastmockingbird rate this post as useful

~ 2011/2/4 16:40
I'd say the worst thing about being a non-Japanese Asian in Japan is that a lot of Japanese might think that you are Japanese and will thus talk to you in the language expecting you to be fluent...which you may or may not be. But I've never heard of non-Japanese Asians being discriminated against. If anything you're probably more likely to get hired at companies/other jobs since clients won't be as intimidated by you.
As for dress an apparel....Japan is one of those countries that as a girl....you cannot live in it without becoming at least slightly more girly yourself (walk into a Kiddy Land store....the amount of adorableness is overwhelming and makes you want it alll). I have a friend who was an absolute tomboy, with a horrible sense of fashion, complete inability to wear makeup, and absolutely no experience with the opposite sex. (after 3 years) She is now wearing frilly dresses, wearing makeup like she's been wearing it for years, and is now married to a Japanese guy. Go figure~
Be yourself though! I would just wear my normal stuff and I'd have Japanese people going around whispering that I'm a "cool-beauty"...which I don't consider myself worthy of such compliments...and it probably came from me being tall.....But! In general, Japanese think foreigners are cool You get status just by not being Japanese :D Kind of like how Americans are obsessed with European accents....
by Chiisa na Koi no Uta rate this post as useful

Be yourself 2011/2/4 21:52
Actually a high voice is a prefered female voice.. Not racious like 'anime' voice, but just a higher softer voice. It's one of those old fashion beauty notions. They exist everywhere anyways. In reality people just do what is possible.. be themselves! :)
by Min (guest) rate this post as useful

voices 2011/2/5 04:15
When I was studying abroad in Japan I took a culture course and we did a poll for. Most Japanese guys prefer a medium voice - not too high or low - but they like soft/cute voices. Not the crazy high annoying ones you hear in retail stores....
by Chiisa na Koi no Uta rate this post as useful

reply to this thread