Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel from Odawara to Matsumoto? 2011/2/4 09:10
What is the best way to travel from Odawara to Matsumoto? I will be traveling from Tokyo to Hakone and then to Matsumoto. One option looks to be to do a day trip from Tokyo to the Hakone area and then travel the next day from Tokyo to Matsumoto. I was just wondering if I could avoid going back to Tokyo. I won't have a car, but will have a Japan rail pass.
by Richard (guest)  

... 2011/2/4 09:51
There are a few routes:

With good connections, the following can be fastest and cheapest, although it is complicated: Take a bus from Hakone to Gotemba Station (don't return to Odawara), then a bus to Kawaguchiko Station (1 hour) and another bus to Kofu (1 hour) and finally the train to Matsumoto (1 hour).

Another option is taking the shinkansen to Shin-Yokohama, then the Yokohama Line to Hachioji and then the limited express to Matsumoto. On average, this is probably the fastest (under 4 hours) but also the most expensive (around 9000 yen). This is the recommended route if you have a Japan Rail Pass.

Only slightly slower but considerably cheaper is taking the Odakyu Line to Machida and changing to the Yokohama Line there. That would be my recommendation to the average tourist without rail pass.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Maybe via Nagoya??? 2011/2/4 10:59
As a thought, and as you have a JR Pass: maybe consider from Odawarra to Nagoya, then to Matsumoto: slightly under 4 hours from Odawarra: gives you about 40 minutes in Nagoya Staion as well: food/bathroom break etc . Also only one change of trains.
BUT you need to time the transfer from Hakone to Odawarra.

Hyperdia came up with this option:
10:09 ODAWARA [72 Min] SHINKANSEN HIKARI 507 11:21

12:00 NAGOYA [123 Min] LTD.EXP (WIDEVIEW)SHINANO 11
14:03 MATSUMOTO
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread