Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

If a guy asks you for chocolate? 2011/2/14 22:26
A Japanese guy who I'm sort of friends with at school asked me today (Valentine's Day) where his chocolate from me was.

I asked him in Japanese "didn't you get some from your girlfriend?" I don't know whether or not he has one; I just said that as a joke. He didn't say yes or no, but he just asked for the chocolate again.

I didn't give him any since I didn't bring any anyway, & I was about to leave when we met, so then I just said bye.

My question is, do Japanese guys usually ask for chocolate on Valentine's Day? I'm not sure if he was joking or not.
by Rica (guest)  

Valentine day 2011/2/15 02:36
Ah, Valentine's Day in Japan works slightly different from what you may be used to in your home country: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giri_choco
by Kappa (guest) rate this post as useful

giri 2011/2/15 04:59
He was probably wondering where his giri choco was :-)
by Mr. T (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/15 07:03
Japanese guys, or any guys in that matter, don't beg for a gift (however small it might be) unless you are close friends. Since you are "sort of" friends, I guess he was being either greedy or desperate.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/15 07:07
I am sorry, I meant to say:

Japanese guys, or any guys in that matter, don't beg for a gift as a joke (however small it might be) unless you are close friends.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/15 13:02
I always love Ikuyo Kuruyo's Kansai humor! A vote for "desperate" since he didn't answer when asked about his "girlfriend." He didn't want to go home empty-handed or at least he wanted as many "trophy" chocolates as he can. My son used tp skip school on Valentine's Day, by the way.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

lol 2011/2/15 13:48
if he didnt want to go home empty handed, he could have just went by the station shop and by himself some, if hes that desperate.

do girls also skip school on white day because they dont want to go home empty handed?
by candy (guest) rate this post as useful

desperate 2011/2/15 21:33
"Desperate" in this case either means "desperate for a trophy" or "desperate for a girl." There's nothing as sad as buying your own chocolate on Valentine's Day ;)

I'd imagine that... 2011/2/15 21:34
I would imagine any girl who gave chocolate on Valentine's Day would receive chocolate (or any other gift) on White Day from the boys they gave the chocolate to. So, if they gave any, they'd have no fear of not getting any. (Though I am no expert on the subject)
by AkuraiIch rate this post as useful

V Day and White Day are different 2011/2/15 23:53
In Japan, Valentine's Day is a day when girls make the decision to give chocolates to the boy she loves. Among high school kids, the custom of giri-choco is not that common, so basically, most chocolates are honmei, in other words given with real feelings.

So this is THE nervous day for girls, because she has to get up and face the boy she loves with the risk of being said, "I can't accept that chocolate." On the other hand, boys have the risk of not seeing any girls come up to him to hand out chocolates.

But when that is over, all risks are gone. On March 14th White Day, it's either that the boy she loves, the boy who was generous enough to have already accepted her chocolate, comes to her with cookies, or the boy who was generous enough to have already accepted her chocolate is stubborn enough to give nothing. This has nothing to do with loving or not loving her.

- 2011/2/17 16:16
what is the valentines custom for gay people in Japan...I mean do gay men give chocolates at the same time on valentines day and lesbians give at the same time on white day? or does one partner have to be the token "boy" or token "girl".
If a guy likes a guy in high school in Japan should he give him chocolate on valentines day?
by whatnow (guest) rate this post as useful

- 2011/2/17 16:18
or...should he give something on white day?
by whatnow (guest) rate this post as useful

More than Chocolate 2011/2/20 14:39
My guess is he had a lot more in mind than chocolate.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

reply to this thread