Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Earthquake tourism 2011/3/11 22:16
Might be a bit selfish but than again would happily help local people with some foreign tourism dollars during my coming trip to Japan (23rd March -- 5th of April)

Where do you think would be most interesting to go to in order to see the results of the Tsunami, and maybe hold the trip for a day or two and help the locals get things back in place?

Initially did no plan on going that far from Tokyo but now that I see the devastation I would happily join rescue teams if needed.

Do you happen to think about a Shinkansen line that would take me there from Tokyo? We have a JR pass

Thanks for your advise.

Ofer
by talpaper  

... 2011/3/11 22:33
The disaster areas will be difficult to access, and I don't think it is a good idea for tourists to go there, unless you are a member of an official relief group. Onlooker are unlikely to be appreciated during the first few days, but tourism related businesses will probably appreciate visitors a few weeks later after the rescue and initial clean-up work is completed.

They are mainly rural coastal areas and farming land. Some difficult to access by public transportation even without natural disasters.

Do you happen to think about a Shinkansen line that would take me there from Tokyo?

The Tohoku Shinkansen takes you to Sendai, but from there it will be difficult to proceed. I personally don't think that the Tohoku Shinkansen will be running for a few more days, but by the 22nd I expect it to be running again unless there are more major earthquakes.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Tohoku Shinkansen running 2011/3/15 22:10
I was encouraged to hear that you think the Shinkansen to Sendai will be running by the 22nd. We aren't coming to Japan until to visit until August but were afraid it would not be running even then. We saw pictures of bridges wiped out by the tsunami. Do you know with any certainty that it will be available to go to Sendai?
by Don A (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/3/15 22:23
I am afraid I might have been a little bit too optimistic.

The Tohoku Shinkansen resumed operation today as far as Nasa-Shiobara, but I am afraid it might not be back in service all the way to Sendai by the 22nd. The damage to the tracks and stations is bigger than I originally expected. But I am not sure. Maybe it will be back in service. For planning reasons, you should consider the probability that it will not.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Interesting?? 2011/3/16 04:44
It's simply pathetic how you try to hide your curiosity behind benefaction.

It's not only selfish, but also simply insulting asking such a question! :( people are cancelling their trips simply because they feel that it would be inappropriate for them to be in the way with their cameras and stuff, while you seriously ask for advice where it is ''interesting''?!

Man, if you are really willing to help - then go and help. If not, then do a favour - stay home and just donate, like I did, for example! I'm sure they have enough curious people like yourself.

Interesting, huh.

Truly outraged.
by Daria (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread