Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Health/ Pancreas Transplant Patient? 2011/3/13 19:21
Currently I'm diabetic(type 1)and I've had one Pancreas transplant, but it failed. I'm on the list again, and I plan on going to Japan in the future. Since my transplant I haven't left the United States, but I have been out of the country. I know when traveling that you should keep all drugs with you in a carry on... but I have a few questions. I don't want my health to prevent me from an amazing experience.

1. In America there's a law about Sushi, what about Japan? I can't consume Grapefruit, and I'm sure the doctors will not approve of sushi overseas. Are there any laws in Japan about raw foods?

2. In an emergency(I have insurance, and would get insurance that covers me in Japan.) what would happen if I needed medication? God forbid I've lost/unable to take it. (Believe me, I've had my needles stolen on vacation in Hawaii.)

3. My medications are not the typical drugs that you find everyday. Two of them are rare, but the other 10_ are mostly vitamins. Does Japan have Pharmacies that are well stocked? Prescriptions? Expensive?

4. Would Japan let me enter the country with these drugs? They're not illegal, but they lower your immune system. I don't think that's as common there.

5. God forbid I get sick, what are the hospitals like? Are they as common as in America? I would hate to not find a doctor if I needed one.

6. I know Japan is very clean, but I have to be extra careful. How much cleaner is it than the US? I use a lot of disinfectant.

Any tips?

I may sound paranoid, but that's literally what my doctors want. They want me to be safe. I'm not a hypochondriac. Pancreas isn't life threatening, but being diabetic is a slow dying cancer in it's self.I don't want to loose my organ nor health. It's not like all the other organ transplants, everyone has different meds with different doses and issues.

If anyone knows more please respond/message me!!
by CatAnne  

contact your embassies 2011/3/13 21:30
i would recommend that you contact you local Japanese embassy. The person i am travelling with is recovering from breast cancer and takes tamoxifen, she went to our local embassies and they told here what she need to get from her doc and what to expect at immigration ie she may be check over by a doctor at the gate. i would also research the hospitals in the area you are travelling to. try and stick to big cites ie tokyo.

Most of all have fun and a great time on your trip because i know that you will love the country.
by sam (guest) rate this post as useful

trip 2011/3/14 05:59
Cat/Anne Japan is a 1st world country. Many Japanese are very cleanliness conscious. As for health care, the USA unfortunately ranks way below all 1st world countries.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Responce 2011/3/14 06:42
Thanks I will do that. I hope your friend does well, and stays well. :D

Still, I don't think Japan is doing Pancreas transplants. There are a lot of states that wont do transplants for certain organs. When you're put on the list it's by region. I'm not doubting Japan's health care, I'm questioning their knowledge on transplants/ Pancreas transplants. A lot of medical people may know something about transplants, but Pancreas is still very new. It's not experimental, but it still has a long way to go before it reaches the same knowledge as a Kidney transplant.
by CatAnne rate this post as useful

reply to this thread