Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Coming to japan or not? 2011/3/13 20:44
I wanted to come to japan on march21th,because of the sunami i change it to 23th,although i'm not sure yet.i plan to visit tokyo ,kyoto , nagoya.can you help to tell me, are these cities safe to come?is trains, shinkansen,bus program on timeand other program in these cities?and also about raidoactive substances?are these cities safe for this item or not?do you recomend me to come to japan in this time?i have no other time.
by Ali (guest)  

Earthquake updates are on this site 2011/3/14 00:08
I recommend reading the earthquake update at the top of the question forum page, as well as current news on Japan, and then making a decision for yourself whether or not to come.

The latest news is that the Tokyo area will be affected by scheduled power outages starting tomorrow and probably lasting until the end of April. Do some research and make an informed decision- we can't tell you whether you should come or not in this kind of situation.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Avoid Tokyo 2011/3/14 01:18
Kyoto and Nagoya should be fine, but Tokyo's a bit iffy. With the rolling black-outs, you should expect some disruptions. From what I gathered from friends there, many tourist attractions are closed or are on reduced hours.

If you avoid Tokyo, you should be okay with the other two cities. Why not visit Osaka? It's quite lively!
by Delita rate this post as useful

rolling blackouts 2011/3/14 01:27
no rolling blackouts within the wards of tokyo except arakawa ward
by Akira (guest) rate this post as useful

oops 2011/3/14 01:50
i'm wrong. sorry.

rolling blackouts:
adachi ward
arakawa ward
itabashi ward
katsushika ward
kita ward
meguro ward
nerima ward
ohta ward
setagaya ward
sinagawa ward
suginami ward
taito ward
toshima ward
by Akira (guest) rate this post as useful

leaving in two weeks 2011/3/14 03:29
My flight is scheduled to Osaka on 26.3 and I hope all will go well. "luckily" Osaka area is not affected but ILll arrive Tokyo on 14.4 and hoping things will settle down then. This my dream trip and very unhappy about the current situation. Hoping for the best. And of course condolences to all the suffering japanese people. The mood might not be so good when ILm there but I think Japan needs our tourist money now more than ever!
by Keke (guest) rate this post as useful

Coming to Japan Via Nagoya 2011/3/14 04:20
First of all id like very much to extend my hand to Japan and its people.
You have all suffered what others cant even begin to understand and still do.
And now to the matter of my visit here.
I have also a planned trip to Japan..originally scheduled to land at Tokyo narita International airport but for some reasons i changed the day and point of landing to Nagoya Chubu Centra international airport.
I have purchased a 7 day JR Rail pass
and was planning to travel up to Tokyo where i have booked a hotel room for a few days.
I have a scheduled meeting with some friends of mine living in Tokyo.
Now ive heard that the power will be cut,
so my question is.
How will this effect hotels and public transports?
i still have time to cancell my hotel room...but hate to do so.
I will arrive in Nagoya on the 26th in March morning time.

ok tahst it for me..but i will be back..feel free to reply should you have a good idea/opion.
Best regards
Jan Erik Sweden
by Janne (guest) rate this post as useful

Train status 2011/3/15 12:20
I'm leaving for Japan on 3.24 and my biggest concern is whether or not the trains will be running from narita to main tokyo. I will then go to Nagoya on 3.26 so i'm hoping the south bound shinkansen will be operational. Nothing to do but wait and see.

If anyone has current info on the transportation status could you let me know? any info is greatly appreciated.
by Kendall (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/3/15 12:26
The situation with the trains and blackouts is currently changing on a daily basis and often the data for the next day is not available in advance. The following page summarizes today's situation:
http://www.japan-guide.com/news/0018.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread