Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Priceline cancellations? 2011/3/14 06:41
Hi! I'm heading to Japan March 30th through April 12th. I used priceline and didn't get any travel insurance. Should I try to cancel my trip? Should I just wait and see how it goes? I know a lot of people have made these threads and I have been reading a lot of conflicting views on going or not going.

Basically I made another thread because I used a website, Priceline! Usually you lose quite a bit trying to cancel or change your tickets. Also it took some teeth pulling at work to get the time off.

Should I try to cancel or should I continue with plans? It would also be bad for Japanese economy in Tokyo if people just pulled out of their reservations? Also my reserved accommodation said they didn't sustain damage from the Earthquake.
by Momel  

Go. 2011/3/14 15:13
You shouldn't have any problems,especially if you're going to Tokyo. That's still over 2 weeks away, and by then trains should be back to normal. I'm not sure about the blackout situation, but they're rolling blackouts for 3 hour intervals. Even if there isn't power in a particular area, it won't last forever.

Go, enjoy yourself, and help Japan's economy. Just be sure to make a donation while you're there to the Red Cross. :)

Just to add, I"m going around the same time as well, but I'm going to live there. So my situation is a bit different. But nothing changes. Full steam ahead.
by Taipan1975 rate this post as useful

... 2011/3/14 15:17
That's still over 2 weeks away, and by then trains should be back to normal.

That is an optimism I cannot quite share. There have been voices saying that the blackouts (and reduced train services) might continue for more than two weeks in the Tokyo area.

I would just wait a few days and see how things develop.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2011/3/14 23:09
Thank you for the replies!

I read recently that some blackouts were postponed in Tokyo due to attrition. People are making a good effort to use less energy and some places have closed for the day to also help as well.

My friend says trains are running and when she went to work they had very low lighting & no heater on & extra items were shut off to conserve energy.

I will wait and see how it develops. I also considered taking a Willer highway bus to Kyoto and staying there for a chunk of my stay even though it will horribly strain my budget.

And if possible donate to red cross:)

Good luck all! Hang in there Japan!!
by Momel rate this post as useful

reply to this thread