Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how to get back to tokyo? 2011/3/15 00:34
My relative is currently stranded in Hirosaki, Aomori after the terrible earthquake last Friday and is seeking information about how to get back to Tokyo... he still has several days left in his trip but needs to get to Narita to catch his flight home on the evening of March 26th.

All JR East trains and highway buses from Aomori are currently suspended... does anyone know when these services will be restored? Has the Tohoku Shinkansen line been badly damaged? If it doesn't reopen in time, he is thinking of taking trains down the Sea of Japan coast to Niigata and then catching the Joetsu Shinkansen back to Tokyo since these lines are more likely undamaged. What is the prognosis on this alternate route being re-opened during the next week or so?

Many thanks for your assistance!

by Loki (guest)  

... 2011/3/15 12:07
All JR East trains and highway buses from Aomori are currently suspended...

It is my understanding that trains resumed service between Hirosaki, Akita and Sakata today, and that trains between Niigata and Sakata were already running before that. That corridor (Hirosaki - Akita - Sakata - Niigata - Tokyo) should allow your relative to return to Tokyo.

The Tohoku Shinkansen (although partially opened south of Fukushima Prefecture today) is unlikely to open along its entire way for a few more days to come.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Aomori to Tokyo 2011/3/15 12:11
Loki,

The Tohoku Shinkansen has sustained damage to tracks and viaducts at several locations, so I would estimate that it could be at least a week before services resume over the whole route.

The Joetsu Shinkansen from Niigata is running, albeit at slightly reduced frequency, so that would be a viable route to get to Tokyo if you cannot fly.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread