Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 20: Posts 1 - 20 of 395

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
next

Still Going? 2011/3/16 12:43
I know this is just an extension of the "Canceling your trip" post, but I felt it was getting too hard to keep track of everyone who is going, when, etc.

Are you still planning on going:
Original travel dates:
Have you had to reschedule & to when:
What areas:
Concerns you have/had:
Benefits of still going:
Other key decision factors:
If you're undecided, when will you decide:
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all:

Maybe something like this will help others who are still up in the air about whether to go, or not.

Are you still planning on going: Not sure
Original travel dates: 4/1-4/11 (arriving at Narita on 4/2)
Have you had to reschedule & to when: Not yet
What areas: Tokyo, Hakone, and Kyoto
Concerns you have/had: Japanese people being down in the dumps (for very understandable reasons) while I try to have fun, they don't need foreigners eating up their food supply, aftershocks, being looked down on for going, less of an experience due to the inconveniences.
Benefits of still going: Not having to wait another year for cherry blossoms, getting to see a whole other part of the world (I've never been farther north than Washington DC, and I've lived in the same town for my whole life), being able to help people in the most traditional way: money.
Other key decision factors: Will the attractions be open for me? What will come of the nuclear situation? Will the lack of timely trains/subways ruin our days' plans?
If you're undecided, when will you decide: March 27, hopefully.
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: On these forums, or at my LiveJournal, http://alysebos.livejournal.com, no trolls please.
by OhhSoAlyse  

My Trip 2011/3/16 13:46
Are you still planning on going: Yes
Original travel dates: 18th March til 3rd April
Have you had to reschedule & to when: No.
What areas: Kyoto, Kobe, Osaka, Hiroshima, Mt Koya
Concerns you have/had: None really..? Only little Radiation but it wont reach there that fast
Benefits of still going: I get to see my family (Part of reason going) And its still pretty normal down south so no point not going...
Other key decision factors: That my Uncle said it's fine and he lives in Kobe (He said he wouldn't let us come if anything was wrong ((He is Australian)) )
If you're undecided, when will you decide: Decided
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: I may update if I have time/remember. Otherwise I have facebook...

by TaytheAussie rate this post as useful

.... 2011/3/16 13:49
What a good idea!!!

Original travel dates: 18th March to 9th april
Have you had to reschedule & to when: Only one night that we were going to spend in Yokohama, thought that the trouble to get there and out may outweigh the fun we might have so have rebooked to stay at an onsen ryokan.
What areas: Tokyo - Kyoto - Osaka - Nara - Tokyo
Concerns you have/had: Transport, peoples feelings (mainly in Tokyo) and shops being open (in tokyo).
Benefits of still going: Not crying myself to sleep for weeks because I cancelled the trip of a lifetime.
Other key decision factors: Family makes it hard when they call and say the ehars this or that on the news.
If you're undecided, when will you decide: N/A
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: On Japan Guide, I will use the new cool blog function =)

Hope this helps some people and look forward to seeing others!
by Imperfect rate this post as useful

Answer 2011/3/16 14:07
Are you still planning on going: As of now, yes
Original travel dates: 3/29-4/12
Have you had to reschedule & to when: Did not reschedule
What areas: Tokyo, but possibly Kyoto/Osaka
Concerns you have/had: Mainly panicking every time someone here reads something sensational. But I get over it when I read relevant news articles and talk to friends/family that are in & around Tokyo.
Mainly it'll be transportation, blackouts, and food shortages that will be a concern. If we can get transport from the airport to Tokyo, then it should be fine. We can hit Kyoto by willer bus or use bikes/walk around Tokyo.
Benefits of still going: yes you can donate money to Japan, but it will go to Sendai and fukushima. It will not help the general populace of Tokyo and it's surrounding areas that are still trying to work towards normalizing their economy, so that they can live and donate. Also it's a beautiful and strong and kind country. I still want to see it and support it by being there. Also a lot of attractions are trying very hard to open and be available. I appreciate their efforts. Also it will be extremely hard to refund tickets on my end and also I probably won't get this vacation time for work for a long while...
Other key decision factors: Mainly Airport transport, blackouts, food.
If you're undecided, when will you decide: Probably by next week some time.
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: Yes definitely. I saw they have User reports in orange at the top of Japan-guide.com I'll comment as much as possible and make reports. When I travel I tend not to put too much up, but I think I will try since people are working hard to make a decision to go.
by Momel rate this post as useful

Still Going? YES YES YES 2011/3/16 14:18
Original travel dates: April 2 to April 25
Have you had to reschedule & to when: No
What areas: Tokyo, Nikko, MtFuji, Osaka/Kyoto/Nara
Concerns you have/had: None
Benefits of still going: To many to list
Other key decision factors:
If you're undecided, when will you decide: Decided
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: Yes
by graeme57 rate this post as useful

Osaka/Kyoto 2011/3/16 14:43
Are you still planning on going: At this stage - Yes
Original travel dates: 28 March - 01 April
Have you had to reschedule & to when: No
What areas: Osaka/Kyoto
Concerns you have/had: Radioactivity
Benefits of still going: It a trip 9 months in the planning and I do not want to cancel unnecessarily
Other key decision factors: None
If you're undecided, when will you decide: 25 March
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: absolutely!

Have a read of this article: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/experts-divided-on-radiation-risk-20...

by cj81 (guest) rate this post as useful

Great Idea 2011/3/16 14:51

Original travel dates: April 5 (arrive on April 6) to April 25.

*I'm now flying home from Osaka instead of Tokyo.

*Not going to be making this decision until the last minute, but if it will be too much of a hassle to visit Nikko, Kamakura and Fujiyoshida, I will instead be going to Shirakawa for a few days before going to Nagoya.

What areas: Tokyo, Kamakura, Nikko, Fujiyoshida, Shirakawa (a possibility), Nagoya, Kanazawa, Kyoto, Wakayama, Himeji, Kobe.

Concerns you have/had: The general mood of people, as well as transportation, electricity issues and food shortages. Radiation is not that much of a concern to me, considering I live in an area with 20 oilsands plants, and was probably exposed to a lot worse living and working here my entire life than I will be being in Tokyo for 7 days (at the rate things are going anyways....)

Benefits of still going: I will get to see my friends that live in Hyogo (Kobe and Himeji), who still insist I come.

Other key decision factors: Not being able to go to Japan, or travel for that matter, for the next 2 to 3 years due to school and career development.

If you're undecided, when will you decide: When airports start turning away passengers due to health and/or safety concerns.

Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: Everyday for the first week and a half I am in Japan.
by Soris rate this post as useful

my trip 2011/3/16 15:25
Are you still planning on going: yes
Original travel dates: 12/4 to 19/4
Have you had to reschedule & to when: No at the moment
What areas: Tokyo and Nikko
Concerns you have/had: Radiations exposure
Benefits of still going: -
Other key decision factors: -
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all:

no plan to cancel as the radiotion recorded is within safety level. but my families and friends discourage me from going. but for me, unless the situation got worse, nothing will change my mind.
by kooks rate this post as useful

Still going? 2011/3/16 15:29
Are you still planning on going: YES!! (travelling from Australia)

Original travel dates: 1 April to 15 April

Have you had to reschedule & to when: No rescheduling at this stage - not sure if we will be able to travel to Niigata as planned

What areas: Tokyo - Hiroshima - Osaka - Takayama - Niigata

Concerns you have/had: Concerned if we will be able to get the NEX from the airport To Shinjuku and if tourists will be a nuisance in Tokyo.
Benefits of still going: Will catch up again with our Japanese exchange student from 10 years ago.

We planned this trip to see the cherry blossom - so putting off the trip for a few months is not going to help. Next year is not an option for us.

Deb
by Debra (guest) rate this post as useful

Undecided 2011/3/16 15:45
Are you still planning on going: Undecided

Original travel dates: April 13-28

What areas: Tokyo, Kyoto, Nikko, Hakone, Yokohama. Even though I really think the trips to both Nikko and Yokohama are not going to end up happening. We might spend those two days exploring Osaka instead. Depends on how things go..

Concerns you have/had: Mostly Radiation levels. If things get worse and there is a serious threat there is no way I am going. Also, I don't want to vacation while the country mourns, it seems terribly selfish. I don't want to be an intruder. I wouldn't want Japanese people to see us as dumb heartless tourists.

Benefits of still going: Getting to visit an amazing beautiful country, so different from any other in the world.

Other key decision factors: My boyfriend and I have been planning this trip fervently for a long time now. But if the radiation problem is not solved within the next weeks, sadly we will have to reschedule for another time.

If you're undecided, when will you decide: Two weeks before our trip, in other words, two weeks from today. Let's see how things go...

Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: Might set up a travel blog. I'll let everyone know if I do so.
by Lia (guest) rate this post as useful

Answer 2011/3/16 17:37
Are you still planning on going: Not sure
Original travel dates: 29/3-10/4 (transit at Narita on 30/3 to KIX)
Have you to reschedule & to when: Not yet, Flight & hotel still on but alrdy cancelled the Mt Fuji/Hakone 1 day tour.
What areas: Osaka / Kyoto / Hakone / Tokyo
Concerns you have/had: Transportation, food, inconveniences..etc. On going tremors..
Benefits of still going: Not wasting my 1 year effort in planning for my 1st trip to japan.
Other key decision factors: Safety, availability of attraction, transport, food, communications..etc.
If you're undecided, when will you decide: 20 March 2011.
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: here in this thread..
by Zixap rate this post as useful

You betcha 2011/3/16 18:00
Are you still planning on going: Yes.
Original travel dates: March 17-March 31 (arriving in Narita on the 18th)
Have you had to reschedule & to when: Yes, I canceled my Swiss flight and rebooked with Emirates to arrive in Osaka on March 21st and leaving Japan on the 3rd of April. All of my Tokyo plans have pretty much been canceled unless the situation improves during my stay.
What areas: I was gonna spend the first couple of days in Tokyo visiting the places any 21 y/o otaku would visit. Afterwards I was gonna explore as much of the southern half of Japan as possible.
Concerns you have/had: Radiation, mostly. I'm really not too worried about people feeling down as they should be happy about my tourist money. I felt extremely bad having to cancel the ryokan I booked for the first day as they had lost nearly all of their bookings for the coming weeks.
Benefits of still going: The fact that I won't be depressed for having to cancel this trip I planned back in September 2009. I was originally supposed to go in the summer of this year and meet up with a bunch of internet buddies there, but since they've all pretty much canceled their plans I decided last month that I would travel earlier instead.
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: If there's anything noteworthy I suppose I'll post about it on these forums.
by Axersia rate this post as useful

still going 2011/3/16 18:01
Are you still planning on going: yes, until th foreign office changes status to "do not travel"
Original travel dates: 21/03 to 09/04
Have you had to reschedule & to when: no. if we postpone, it will be at our own cost and virgin have only given us til april 9th to use the flights again. so it is of very little benefit to reschedule.
What areas: tokyo, osaka, kyoto, nara, some floating days, hakone, tokyo.
Concerns you have/had: transport in tokyo mainly. radiation a little bit too.
Benefits of still going: like imperfect, not crying my way through next week! :) also helping the country with my tourist money, there is lots to see in japan besides tokyo.
Other key decision factors: nothing else besides the above
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: i'll try and get a short report on tokyo up here on japan-guide. don't want to be wasting too much electricity on the laptop!
by red razors rate this post as useful

Undecided 2011/3/16 19:02
Are you still planning on going:Not sure
Original travel dates:26th march -23rd of April
Have you had to reschedule & to when:Booking agent does not allow reschedules
What areas:Tokyo,Nikko,Yokohama,Kamakura,Nagoya,Nara,Koyasan,Osaka,Kyoto,Hiroshima,Miyajima
Concerns you have/had:Blackouts and attractions being open, Transport in and around Tokyo, Many of my hostels have recommened that i do not travel, lack of food and fuel. Language barrier with regards to public transport. Friends in Tokyo think its unwise
Benefits of still going:Been planning for 5 years, Trip of a life time. wont lose out on thousands of pounds if i dont cancel
Other key decision factors: If my girlfirend is happy to travel too, if i am able to get refunds on flights and tickets
If you're undecided, when will you decide:I will decided by the 20th when my airline will consider refunds or not
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all:Twitter and on here

by finnfb rate this post as useful

yesss 2011/3/16 19:11
Are you still planning on going: YES (80%)

Original travel dates: 17/4 till 26/4

Have you had to reschedule & to when: wont

What areas: tokyo/ osaka/ nagoya/ nara/ kanazawa/ tonami/ shiragawago/ karuizawa/ tokyo

Concerns you have/had: radiation? others not really as i believe in 1 months time, the mighty japanese nation will back on its feet again.. gambatte!

Benefits of still going: gonna spend money there to contribute twds its economy:)

Other key decision factors: been planned for more than half a year for this trip n already bought the 7 days JR pass.. dont wanna forsake the chance to see the beautiful japan in spring n hopefully some sakura left..

If you're undecided, when will you decide: lets monitor 1 or 2 more weeks..

Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: yes

Lets all pray for Japan.. God bless Japan n speedy recovery!!!
by cherrysista rate this post as useful

Media are hyping things! 2011/3/16 19:34
Are you still planning on going: YES!
Original travel dates: 1st April-15th April
Have you had to reschedule & to when: No reschedule of dates, but have rescheduled hotel bookings (see below)
What areas: Changed hotel location from Tokyo to Fukuoka + Osaka, Nara, Kyoto, Kobe, Iwakuni, Miyajima
Concerns you have/had: Structural integrity of buildings, aftershocks (believe radiation threat is hyped up, some nuclear experts say widespread radiation is highly improbable due to water based system meaning particles too heavy to disperse and would not remain viable for long distances, likely to cause only localised damage in event of meltdown and cooling failure)
Benefits of still going: No regrets in cancelling, support to wider Japan with tourist money as form of donation to those not affected by disaster but who will suffer from 'tourist cancellation tsunami'
Other key decision factors: Difficulties in rescheduling JR Pass, Airplane tixs, time off work
by Sparksy (guest) rate this post as useful

Undecided 2011/3/16 19:50
Are you still planning on going: Undecided

Original travel dates: 31st March-9th April

What areas: Tokyo, Yokohama, Kamakura, Nikko

Concerns you have/had: Aftershocks, lack of food, I am gonna stay with my friend in Ikebukuro so if things are still not okay I wouldn't want to be a burden for my friend and her family.

Benefits of still going: This is a trip my friend and I had planned for a year and we were really looking forward to it.

Other key decision factors: time off work
by callmepebbles rate this post as useful

added 2011/3/16 19:52
If you're undecided, when will you decide: 29th March

Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: Yes
by callmepebbles rate this post as useful

still going 2011/3/16 20:10
Are you still planning on going:
Original travel dates: 23/3 - 1/4
What areas: Chsnged our 3 days in Tokyo
Concerns you have/had: the sadness in Japan and how they will view us westerners still coming on our holiday during their devistation
Benefits of still going: spending my money in Japan and we intend to donate all that we take over there and only come home with gifts for family and friends back home in Aust
Other key decision factors: sad that we we will not get to see family in Tokyo but trying to stay clear of the most troubled areas
If you're undecided, when will you decide: every day the decision could change depending on the suggestions of the people we know in Japan
Where will you be updating us of your time, if at all: Only update on FB and may be here if I can access it easily

by shazzie (guest) rate this post as useful

Hope to go! 2011/3/16 20:36
Are you still planning on going: Undecided (am pushing for it but my travel companion is firmly against it for now)

Original travel dates: March 23rd-31st

Have you had to reschedule & to when: Yes. Haven't confirmed if i were to reschedule to tokyo-haneda

What areas: Tokyo, Nikko, Yokohama (May re-route to Kansai region-Kyoto, Osaka, Tateyama if trip materializes)

Concerns you have/had: Radiation and the state of the nuclear plants. Food, water, electricity supply and transport are also key concerns. Will we be depriving the japanese of their supply further?

Benefits of still going: Supporting Japan by not pulling out of the trip! They need our economical support from tourists at this point of time! -especially Kansai region which is not affected so far.

Other key decision factors: My boyfriend. He's not very keen on going so far due to the radiation scares coupled with media sensationalisation. But seriously, if it were to spread to south japan, it's gonna affect other parts of asia too. His key concern (despite the re-routing) is that we're landing at tokyo itself. (which i personally don't have an issue with)

By end March. Pray the radiation levels get under control, for the good of all mankind. (it's everyone's issue now!)

God bless Japan in restoring her beautiful homeland and stop the string of bad events already. Ganbatte nihon! You can do it!
by Lana3 (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 20: Posts 1 - 20 of 395

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
next

reply to this thread