Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takaosan (going out to the mountain) 2011/3/26 06:17
Hi I'm trying to see if it'd be difficult to go visit Takaosan, that's 50mins away from Tokyo? I would really love to take a nice hike out there and see the Tengu statues, maybe get to the top and see the Shrine & views.

My question is that due to the difference in transportation, would it be hard to go there and come back?

Is there a time I should try to come back from Takaosan ( based on transport )?

Look like the trails are pretty well tended?

Is it okay just to go there for a day trip?

Do I take just normal stuff like my own food and water? Or is it touristy with spots to eat?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3029.html
by Momel  

... 2011/3/26 09:05
My question is that due to the difference in transportation, would it be hard to go there and come back?

Unless there is some major change in the transportation situation, it should be no problem. Both the Keio Line and JR Chuo Line are running, although, possibly at a slightly reduced shedule.

Is there a time I should try to come back from Takaosan ( based on transport )?

Train run several hours beyond sunset. I recommend to come down the mountain by sunset at the very latest. It is currently around 6pm.

Look like the trails are pretty well tended?

Yes, they are. The main ones are even paved.

Is it okay just to go there for a day trip?

Certainly. To the opposite: almost nobody ever overnights at Takaosan.

Do I take just normal stuff like my own food and water? Or is it touristy with spots to eat?

Unless you hike beyond the peak of Takaosan, it is a very touristy area with restaurants and vending machines. But many people also bring their own food and water.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Uji 2011/3/26 09:17
Thank you again! You are immensely helpful and selfless! I will very much look forward to going there, sounds pretty nice :)
by Momel rate this post as useful

good idea! 2011/3/30 15:36
a thumbs-up for takao-san. it's definitely a nice--and easy--trip, both the chuo line to takao and the hiking (well, walking... lol) on site. nice nibbles along the way, too (soba, in particular). if u have the time, i'd also recommend that u give the area west of tokyo along the chuo line a look when time permits. lots of funky areas, such as kichijoji and nishi ogikubo...
by sing or die 1818 (guest) rate this post as useful

Nice day walk 2011/3/30 15:56
It is easy to do from Tokyo within a day. I walked up from the railway station (Takao San Guchi) and did the traverse to Jimba Kogen Shita, where I caught a bus (hourly schedule) back to Hachioji station.

I would like to use the opportunity this post to recommend the Lonely Planet "Hiking in Japan" which is quite helpful in preparing these "out in the wild" trips.
by iwander rate this post as useful

have fun at Takao-san! 2011/3/31 02:00
First time posting, because I had to when I saw the topic was Takao-san :) It's one of my favorite places in Japan - an easy getaway from Tokyo when you just want to experience some nature and go for a pleasant walk in the mountains.

For food, I highly recommend buying a bento and bringing it along. There's nothing like sitting on a bench on a mountainside eating a bento and looking out towards Metro Tokyo far in the distance. If you need it, there's a convenience store between the station and the paved shopping street that is the main approach to the mountain, IIRC (my memory is slightly fuzzy).

As for coming down the mountain after sunset, it's definitely interesting. Did that with a buddy of mine, and came down the paved path that was mentioned before. There are lights so it's not too bad, but very quiet and eerie by that time. I don't think we saw another human being the whole way down - we were the only ones dumb enough to get stuck on Takao-san after dark!
by jaeten rate this post as useful

great~! 2011/4/10 23:11
We went today, we made it a day and got down before dark. Then ate a hearty meal in Ikebukuro! It's quite a walk. We cheated a bit on the way up because we took the cable car part way up. We walked all the way down though haha:) And we had tons of Dango and roasted chestnuts!
by Momel rate this post as useful

reply to this thread