Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Izumo Taisha Shrine 2011/5/23 00:28
... is it worthwhile to visit the Shrine during the rennovation works? I'm going to Matsue and thinking about a side-trip to Izumo

Thanks
by Luebzer  

Hmm... 2011/5/23 09:50
Well, one of the impressive parts of the shrine is the architecture of the inner part towering above the rest and that's the part that is being rennovated. You can still appreciate it, but I don't think you'll be able to get nice pictures.

If you are looking for alternatives and have a day to spend, I would suggest either Iwami Ginzan (in Oda) or Daisen (in Tottori Prefecture).

Iwami Ginzan is the area where silver was once mined in Japan (Japan was a major exporter of silver and other minerals). The mines are interesting and Omori town is also quite nice, with old buildings and some temples.

Daisen is famous for Mount Daisen, and there are excellent trails on the mountain which take you past historic temples and shrines. The mountain itself is also impressive. You can see it from the outskirts of Matsue.

If you don't have a full day but don't want to visit Izumo Shrine, you could try Vogel Park (the nation's largest aviary which also has many flowers), Yuushien English Garden, or go to the Adachi Museum, which has art and a garden, viewable from the museum's windows. (It's half off for foreigners, although even so, it is still a lot more money than other attractions...)
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

... 2011/5/23 23:40
Thank's for your answer. I will stay in Yonago for some day's and would like to see the local attractions like Adachi Museum, Mt. Daisen etc. I thought it would be worthwhile to combine a daytrip to Matsue with a side-trip to Izuma-Taisho-Shrine. I think that I'm going to the Tottori-Sand Dunes instead....
by Luebzer rate this post as useful

reply to this thread