Schools
-
Member Area

Home - Question Forum
Visit Nara or not

ask a new question  -  post a reaction

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question,
please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visit Nara or not 2011/7/10 03:10
Hi

I have a 10 day itinerary.
Tokyo(2), Nikko(1), Hakone(2), Kyoto(3), Osaka(1)

So am thinking of a day trip from Kyoto to Nara but will it be worth it?
Will I be all templed out?
Is it different from the other places or
is there a better day trip from Kyoto or just stay in Kyoto.

Sorrry I know it's a bit rambling

Thanks for your help

by woody100  

... 2011/7/10 14:18
To the person with a shallow interest in Japanese history and religion, Nara is not very different from Kyoto. So if you don't have a particular interest in history and temples, I think you could give it a miss.

For those with a deep interest in Japanese Buddhism and history, however, Nara is a definite must.

If you are unsure, I would just delay the decision and think of alternative destinations in case you "temple out".

by Uji rate this post as useful

nara 2011/7/10 14:50
i agree with uji .you should leave it and see how you feel.but having said that ,if you have the chance go i would strongly recommend it.everything to see is all in the same area around nara park and its a beautiful place to `stroll around`.i would actually choose nara if i had to make a choice(believe it or not!)as a lot of travelling around kyoto is involved to see everything.ps.dont miss kiyomizu temple in kyoto and of course the golden pavilion and philosophers path.
by becka122 rate this post as useful

I cant get enough of Nara 2011/7/10 16:59
for me, Nara is almost perfect. It is far greener than Kyoto, the walks are brilliant, the shopping is good, the sights are great, the food is great, and the deer are a plus. It would also make a pretty good base for day trips itself. It depends on what tickles your fancy, though, I dont think you could really get much of a feel for it in a half a day or so.
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/7/10 18:13
We only had an afternoon in Nara because we went to the ninja museum in Iga that morning instead, and had already spent a lot of time looking at temples and shrines in Kyoto, Koyasan and Miyajima. Although we obviously should have made it a full day, we had a great time riding hired bicycles through Nara Koen. It's not every day I can ride a bike sans helmet (it's illegal here) through a massive park that contains deer and beautiful religious sites after all.... It's a superficial viewpoint, but I'm just being honest from a templed out perspective. I mean no disrespect. I'd love to visit there in a future trip for an extensive tour.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

i love nara 2011/7/10 21:35
if i can revise my trip i would spend more days in nara than in kyoto. i went in april when the cherry blossoms are abloom. the place has a different charm to it, it's less crowded and it has the most beautiful cherry blossoms for me. it's worth seeing the huge buddha housed inside todaiji temple, the quiet pond at ukimido pavillion and just enjoying the serenity of nara park with the deers. and the people are thrice as friendly :)
by jendearest rate this post as useful

Thanks 2011/7/11 04:41
Well after reading comments, not only going to Nara but may change itinerary to stay 1 night
by woody100 rate this post as useful

...great!... 2011/7/11 06:35
can I add then that we stayed at Nara Hotel for 4 nights in the old section, about $250 per night for very nice (although small) rooms in a 100 year old building with an extensive breakfast thrown in, I just couldnt say enough good things about it subject to a little caution that eating dinner there is quite expensive (though a real treat) so it is 5 minute walk to town instead. It is also next to the old palace garden site and accross the road to Nara Park. We really didnt want to leave.
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2011/7/11 12:49
Nara Hotel is very expensive. I recommend the Super Hotel. It's right next to JR Nara Station and has Onsen!

http://www.superhoteljapan.com/en/s-hotels/nara-lohas.html#tourism

by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

yes, yes, yes! It must be seen. 2011/7/11 13:40
I was living in Nara for 8 months and in my opinion is much better than Kyoto.
If you would like to visit old temples Nara is the place.

You must see Todaiji temple and Kasuga taisha temple in Nara park.
Nara park is full of deers and you can feed it with special cookies for deers.

I would really recommend at least one day in Nara.

You can reach Nara from Kyoto Station. Just take Kintetsu line to Nara. It takes around 40 min with the express.

You can find cheap hotels or hostels at:

www.hostelworld.com

Have fun!
Max

by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread

Advertisement

Online Reservations
Hotel

Car

Flight

Bus

(check-in)

Related Pages
Message Boards
  Question Forum
  Travel Reports

Classified Ads
  Friends
  Language Schools
  Language Tutors
  Language Exchange
  Accommodation
  Travel Guide
  Other Services
  Moving Sales
  Events

Travel
Living
Japan A-Z
Community
Sightseeing
Accommodation
Transportation
Shopping
Essentials
Regions
Prefectures
Cities
Working
Studying
Living Cost
Apartments
Arts and Crafts
Entertainment
History
Religion
Etiquette
Food
Language
Tradition
Question Forum
Classifieds
Trip Reports
Member Area
Sightseeing Guide
Hokkaido
Sapporo
Otaru
Hakodate
Noboribetsu
Niseko
Furano
Daisetsuzan
Shiretoko
more...
Tohoku
Sendai
Matsushima
Hiraizumi
Hachimantai
Hirosaki
Lake Towada
Dewa Sanzan
Aizu
more...
Kanto
Tokyo
Yokohama
Kamakura
Hakone
Nikko
Kawagoe
Kusatsu
Narita
more...
Chubu
Nagoya
Mount Fuji
Izu Peninsula
Matsumoto
Kiso Valley
Takayama
Shirakawa-go
Kanazawa
more...
Kansai
Kyoto
Osaka
Nara
Kobe
Himeji
Mount Koya
Kumano
Ise Shima
more...
Chugoku
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Okayama
Kurashiki
Tottori
Matsue
Iwakuni
Hagi
more...
Shikoku
Takamatsu
Kotohira
Naoshima
Matsuyama
Kochi
Tokushima
Naruto
Iya Valley
more...
Kyushu
Fukuoka
Nagasaki
Kumamoto
Mount Aso
Beppu
Kagoshima
Kirishima
Yakushima
more...
Okinawa
Honto
Kume
Miyako
Yaeyama
Copyright © 1996-2014 japan-guide.com All rights reserved
home - site map - privacy policy - terms of use - contact - employment - Lɂ‚ - advertising