Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Places to stay during your travels 2011/7/18 03:30
I'm planning on travelling around Japan in August using JR pass. (I'm still undecided on where to go, but I am keen to visit places around Kanazawa, Kyushu or Shikoku).

I need to keep the cost of my trip down, so I am using 'Hostel World' and 'Hostel Bookers' to look for and book places to stay overnight.
Does anyone know any other websites/services where I can book cheap or cheaper accomodations? And are hostels the cheapest way to stay somewhere overnight?
If anyone can offer advice on looking for places to stay overnight (especially in Kanazawa, Kyushu or Shikoku areas), I will be grateful!

Thanks!
by Chihaya (guest)  

Bola-Bola 2011/7/18 13:53
If you spend any time in Kyoto I recomend Bola-Bola.
Its a cheap place but the rooms are nice and has a traditional japanese feel. The guy who runs it speaks good english and is really friendly and helpful.
Its located one stop away from Arashiyama and a few stops away from Kyoto station.

here is a link

http://www.bola-bola.jp/top_english.htm
by Seratone rate this post as useful

... 2011/7/19 01:26
Try Google Earth. Turn on the Lodging icon in Layers/More/Place Categories. You can then click on the lodging icons near where you want to stay and see if the lodging fits your needs. You are better off going to the webpage of the site, if available and trying to figure out the rates. Most of the links are in Japanese, so you may want to use Google translate or Bing to translate. In this way you can usually find the rates page.

Good luck!!
by geogeek1 rate this post as useful

Thanks 2011/7/19 04:59
Thanks guys for the helpful responses. Much appreciated!

Can I ask, during your travels, how have you looked for and booked accomodations? And do you find some types of accomodations (like hostels) better than others (say, business hotels or ryokans), in terms of prices, people etc.

Thanks!
by Chihaya (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/7/19 08:20
j-hoppers, K's House are hostel/guesthouse chains in Japan

I do suggest this guesthouse if you stop in Takayama.

http://takayama.j-hoppers.com/

Very nice cause it was Ryokan Style! However there is no elevators here, you will need to carry your luggage up.

Happy traveling!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

busy time 2011/7/19 08:34
Because you are travelling in peak season, you should probably start booking places to stay as soon as possible or you risk everywhere being full in the places you plan to go, especially low-midrange accommodation. Some areas may have already been booked out for months, especially during the Obon holiday.

Definitely don't leave it until you are on the road already.
by tomakomai (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread