Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pay phones on Shinkansen trains 2011/8/11 20:31
Hello,

Following a 2009 thread in this forum, I understood that the pay phones available in the Shinkansen trains were only able to call NTT mobile phones.

I was wondering if this restriction still apply as I'll have to call a non-NTT mobile and was thinking about using the pay phone inside the Shinkansen...

Thanks
by physicman  

Shinkansen pay phones 2011/8/12 10:49
Physicman,

Yes, that is still the case - although it is possible to call non-NTT mobile phones from trains on the Yamagata and Akita Shinkansen.

And just in case anyone is confused, it is of course possible to call regular landline phones from trains - it is just non-NTT mobile phones that are subject to this restriction.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

How about te N'EX? 2011/8/12 21:46
Thanks a lot Dave!

BTW, do you know is the same apply to the Narita Express pay phones?

Thanks again.
by physicman rate this post as useful

So I can ring overseas landlines too? 2011/8/13 15:41
So can I ring overseas landlines too from the Shinkansen?
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

NEX pay phones 2011/8/14 10:36
physicman,

BTW, do you know is the same apply to the Narita Express pay phones?

Sorry, I really don't know the answer to that one. The JR Timetable provides information on shinkansen pay phones, but strangely does not mention the phones in many regular express trains, including the Narita Express.

International calls 2011/8/14 10:37
Stewy63,

So can I ring overseas landlines too from the Shinkansen?

I'm not sure, but since the payphones are the green NTT phones, I don't think they will let you make international calls.

reply to this thread