Schools
-
Member Area

Home - Question Forum
Himeji Castle observation deck

ask a new question  -  post a reaction

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question,
please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Himeji Castle observation deck 2011/8/12 16:54
Hi,

We plan to check out Himeji Castle and its on-going renovations. I signed up on the website to reserve early. I have questions about going about Himeji castle in general, because our schedule is quite tight so we cannot stay in the area very long.

How long is the observation deck tour? Is it strictly one hour? Can we arrive later, or maybe leave earlier? Just want to confirm flexibility of schedule once we get in Himeji.

Finally, with the on-going renovations, is there benefit on staying long? Like can we pretty much see everything in one hour?

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks..

by chris (guest)  

... 2011/8/13 12:03
How long is the observation deck tour?

It is not a tour. You just walk through it yourself. You can walk through the observation deck part of the castle in less than ten minutes. On busy days, a little bit of waiting can be involved even if you have a reservation.

The above does not include the time required for the rest of the castle visit, which is usually much more considerable.

Can we arrive later, or maybe leave earlier?

You should pick up your reservation during your determined time slot.

by Uji rate this post as useful

Visiting Himeji Castle under restoration 2011/8/15 07:20
You had better take a meal in advance. Please understand that Himeji Castle is a cultural heritage: you will not be allowed to eat or drink in the donjon or in the special facility gEgret's Eye Viewh (gTenkuu no Shirasagih in Japanese).

I recommend that you expect at least 40 minutes on foot from a platform in Himeji Station to the facility, and 10 minutes more if you come via Shinkansen. This does not include the time for waiting in a queue.

Please exit passing through Central Ticket Gate. From the north entrance of Himeji Station, also buses are available, but you would soon find Himeji Castle even while walking. However, itfs a long way with steep slopes to get near the donjon.

I signed up on the website to reserve early.

So you have already read this page, right?
http://www.himejijo-syuri.jp/en/reservation/individual.html
This website lists questions (http://www.himejijo-syuri.jp/guide/faq/) and answers in Japanese. According to the answersc.
: Visitors cannot eat or drink within the pay zone of Himeji Castle, which includes the special facility gEgret's Eye View.h
: There are coin lockers inside the castle near the entrance.
: The castle as a whole takes about one and a half to two hours. Visitation in the facility requires about 30 minutes.
: Reservation is not mandatory for admission to the facility but is recommended to make sure people watch exhibits and to ease congestion.
: In the special facility gEgret's Eye Viewh visitors should start from the waiting space on the ground level and go to halls on the 8th, the 7th and the ground levels in this order. In the hall on each level, visitors can watch exhibits freely, except in case a route is designated due to crowdedness.
: Major items, though not all, are given expressions in English.
: With the exception of flashlight shooting which is prohibited, itfs OK to take photos privately for non-profit use, as long as it does not annoy another visitor.

Actually also I am planning to visit Himeji Castle. My last-time visitation was made just before the restoration works began. I skipped then Nihinomaru of the castle and a neighboring garden Koko-en (pronounced with the first goh prolonged; http://www.city.himeji.lg.jp/koukoen/english.html). This time I hope to visit them and also stop by First Ri Connecting Corridor for shachihoko motifs (http://www.himejijo-syuri.jp/en/exhibition/#tower). So I now expect about 4 and a half hours in the castle and the garden, which may be extended.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread

Advertisement

Online Reservations
Hotel

Car

Flight

Bus

(check-in)

Related Pages
Message Boards
  Question Forum
  Travel Reports

Classified Ads
  Friends
  Language Schools
  Language Tutors
  Language Exchange
  Accommodation
  Travel Guide
  Other Services
  Moving Sales
  Events

Travel
Living
Japan A-Z
Community
Sightseeing
Accommodation
Transportation
Shopping
Essentials
Regions
Prefectures
Cities
Working
Studying
Living Cost
Apartments
Arts and Crafts
Entertainment
History
Religion
Etiquette
Food
Language
Tradition
Question Forum
Classifieds
Trip Reports
Member Area
Sightseeing Guide
Hokkaido
Sapporo
Otaru
Hakodate
Noboribetsu
Niseko
Furano
Daisetsuzan
Shiretoko
more...
Tohoku
Sendai
Matsushima
Hiraizumi
Hachimantai
Hirosaki
Lake Towada
Dewa Sanzan
Aizu
more...
Kanto
Tokyo
Yokohama
Kamakura
Hakone
Nikko
Kawagoe
Kusatsu
Narita
more...
Chubu
Nagoya
Mount Fuji
Izu Peninsula
Matsumoto
Kiso Valley
Takayama
Shirakawa-go
Kanazawa
more...
Kansai
Kyoto
Osaka
Nara
Kobe
Himeji
Mount Koya
Kumano
Ise Shima
more...
Chugoku
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Okayama
Kurashiki
Tottori
Matsue
Iwakuni
Hagi
more...
Shikoku
Takamatsu
Kotohira
Naoshima
Matsuyama
Kochi
Tokushima
Naruto
Iya Valley
more...
Kyushu
Fukuoka
Nagasaki
Kumamoto
Mount Aso
Beppu
Kagoshima
Kirishima
Yakushima
more...
Okinawa
Honto
Kume
Miyako
Yaeyama
Copyright © 1996-2014 japan-guide.com All rights reserved
home - site map - privacy policy - terms of use - contact - employment - Lɂ‚ - advertising