Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ameya Yokocho (Ueno) close on Wednesday? 2011/8/23 15:36
I heard Ameyokocho Flea Market will be close on some Wendesday of each month. I'm planning to go there on December 21, 2011 on my way to San Antonio.

On the closed day, does the majority close too?

Thanks!
by polly (guest)  

candy store alley 2011/8/24 22:42
Polly,

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "Flea Market."

Ameya Yokocho (meaning "candy store alley")in Ueno is a big shopping archade. There are a few long streets and there are shops all along those streets with some outdoor vendors here and there.

Each shop or vender runs its own business. It's not like the whole street closes on a certain date. However, a lot of shops do close every Wednesday. This is not unique to Ame-yoko.

That said, since December is the busiest time of the year, most if not all shops in Ame-yoko are open all through the month.

The following is the official website of Ame-yoko in Ueno.
http://www.ameyoko.net/e/
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

long street 2011/8/25 11:05
Thank you! I meant thelong street where they sell snacks in big pack.
by polly (guest) rate this post as useful

polly 2011/8/26 12:49
if you're looking for candy you might be disappointed. there are only maybe 1 or 2 shops selling candy in the whole area that i've ever seen

ameyoko is mostly full of clothing shops and seafood shops, with an area full of izakaya/japanese food/korean food places toward the ueno station side.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Niki 2011/8/27 01:34
There is a store (actually two stores right across from each other) in Ameyoko called Niki. They have all kinds of packaged snacks and candies at great prices. We went there on our last visit last month (on our last full day, unfortunately, after we paid more for the same omiyage elsewhere).

It is located just northwest of Okachimachi JR station, at the south end of Ameyoko. You can find the exact location on google maps (search for nikinokashi).

Dale
by Oenophile Angler (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread