Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Onomichi - one day or more .... 2011/8/24 12:35
Really inspired by the movie .. Tokyo Story (Tokyo Monogatari).. which was based in Onomichi in 1953.

We would like to visit the museum in Onomichi showing the making of this movie and also touring this hilly town and perhaps do some islands hoping in the Inland Sea.

Do we have enough time to do most of this in a day or shall we stay overnight in Onomichi? Any decent traditional ryokans in the area ?

Thank you!
by tju (guest)  

A day in Onomichi should be enough. 2011/8/25 03:57
I couldnt find a place to stay in the town so I Stayed in Okayama & used my JR pass to get to Onomichi. Okayama is a good base for exploring the area as you can cross to Takamatsu or easily get to Uno for a ferry to Naoshima.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Onomichi 2011/8/25 05:48
I originally planned a couple of hours in Onomichi - also knew it from the movie. I did most of the temple walking tour as well as going to the park and museum up on the cable car and ended up spending the whole day there. I was using Kurashiki as my base - didn't stay in Onomichi. If you visit the nearby islands a day might not be enough...
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

.... 2011/8/25 11:45
Thqnk you very much !

We think we need two days if we do the islands hopping by ferries plus the Temple Walk.

If we cannot find a decent place to stay in Onomichi, we will either base in Kurashiki or Hiroshima.

Thank you once again.
by tju (guest) rate this post as useful

Could stay in Fukuyama as well 2011/8/25 22:17
I stayed in Fukuyama during my last visit to Onomichi. It's about 20mins train ride from Fukuyama to Onomichi. So you could take Fukuyama into consideration as well.
by Douglas (guest) rate this post as useful

Green Hill Hotel Onomichi 2011/8/25 23:33
The Green Hill Hotel is right in front of Onomichi Station and offers great views of the water front. Very nice hotel to stay at.
by Isamu (guest) rate this post as useful

A bit more info 2011/8/26 04:38
I did try to book the Green Hill hotel but it was full the weekend I was looking at (It was a holiday weekend). Onomichi is an easy day trip from Hiroshima and the local train runs along the coast from Mihara and I loved it. Hiroshima is a fabulous place.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

View from Mihara to Onomichi 2011/8/26 22:46
Yes sir! The local train from Mihara to Onomichi is a spectacular view. Glad you noticed that Stan! My wife is from Onomichi and always told me about that wiew..first time I saw it, I was in awe. Hiroshima is a great city to visit as well and I love going there.
by Isamu (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread