Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Zao Onsen Transports and Accomodation 2011/9/12 00:52
Hi guys,
I have a question here. My trip in February next year covers 7 days in Tokyo but I plan to take a day trip to Nikko and Zao Onsen to see the ice monster. However, I did not get much information about the transportation to Zao Onsen. All that i know is train from Tokyo to Yamagata and not sure where to go after that.

From japanguide.com, I read that there is a direct bus from Tokyo to Zao Onsen. Can anyone tell me the name of the bus company and how can i buy the ticket? I plan to take night bus from Tokyo to Zao Onsen and return to Tokyo via shinkansen.

Also, when i reached Zao Onsen, where shall i stay? Is it Yamagata? I am a bit confused here and i really needs help as I might have to do advance booking.

Thank you.
by kooks  

... 2011/9/12 08:18
All that i know is train from Tokyo to Yamagata and not sure where to go after that.

Take a local bus from Yamagata Station to Zao Onsen. No reservations possible:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7927.html

An alternative approach is via Sendai.

From japanguide.com, I read that there is a direct bus from Tokyo to Zao Onsen. Can anyone tell me the name of the bus company and how can i buy the ticket?

I think there are a few companies that offer ski buses from Tokyo to various ski resorts. And some companies just resell the tickets but are not actually operating. And none of them sees to have English websites. So, I don't have a clear picture myself. Furthermore, some of the companies might not have their schedules for this winter published yet.

One of the companies that I keep encountering is Sunshine Tours. They offered ski buses to Zao in the past, but they don't have information for the 2011 ski swason yet:
http://www.sunshinetour.co.jp/

Also, when i reached Zao Onsen, where shall i stay?

I recommend to stay at a ryokan with onsen baths in Zao. I personally stayed at the Miyamaso Takamiya, which I enjoyed a lot. Here are some more options:
http://www.japanican.com/hotels/list.aspx?ar=06&sar=060102&ref=EXJ_FOR...

by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2011/9/12 11:15
I believe the Zao Onsen bus leaves from the #1 bus stop at Yamagata station, and are hourly, costing 980 yen.

We stayed at Pension Candle and enjoyed it.

I hope you have time to visit Yamadera too. It's worth the snowy/icy stairs.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: what "Zao" may refer to 2011/9/12 13:39
Also, when i reached Zao Onsen, where shall i stay? Is it Yamagata?

Yes, indeed. I suppose you can narrow down your accommodation options with "Zao" "Yamagata" in utilizing some useful websites for tourists.

I am a bit confused here

Zao Onsen spa resort is in City of Yamagata in Yamagata Prefecture.
Maybe you have encountered on the web "Town Zao" in neighboring Miyagi Prefecture.
The resort in Yamagata is on the west side of Zao mountainous zone stretching over the two prefectures, while the town in Miyagi is on its east side.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

. 2011/9/12 15:47

forgot the bus timetable 2011/9/12 15:48

reply to this thread