Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Free wifi access 2011/9/26 22:00
There is some thing I would like to ask. I'm planning on taking my own laptop with me when travelling in Japan. Is the wifi Internet access offered by most hostels usually free? I also read something aout free wifi for cafe or restaurant customers. This is my first time taking my laptop abroad so I'm not familiar with the facts.
by Hanna (guest)  

Re: Free wifi access 2011/9/26 23:13
Hanna,

Wifi is something hotel customers think much of, and hotel ad usually clearly shows whether free wifi is available there.
by V (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Free wifi access 2011/9/26 23:32
Most hotels offer internet. However, most are not wi-fi and some will charge you an arm and a leg for daily use, up to 1575 yen/day. There is no free wifi like there is in the U.S. Even the free wifi available is one you have to sign up for. I don't know if it would be available to gaijin.

If you need a portable wifi, check www.rentafonejapan.com. It's not a pricey as others....
by John (digs Japan) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Free wifi access 2011/9/27 00:19
freespot map
http://www.freespot.com/users/map_e.html

When equipment of a restaurant is used, it is necessary to place an order for some.
Presentation of a warrant card is required in the "Manga Cafe" in Tokyo.
There may also be a useless place with a foreign passport.
by mk1970 rate this post as useful

Re: Free wifi access 2011/9/27 00:30
It adds, "Manga Cafe" means Manga Cafe, Internet Cafe, Net Cafe, Comic Cafe and suchlike Cafe.
by mk1970 rate this post as useful

Re: Free wifi access 2011/9/27 04:37
My experience is that the hotels that offer free internet have no problems to connect to the internet. However i have the impression that most hotels offer wired internet (LAN) and no wireless (WiFi or WLAN).
If your laptop can not be connected to LAN or if you bring also a iPod or tablet with WLAN it is a good idea to bring a wireless router.
Have a nice trip
B. Slager
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Free wifi access 2011/9/27 05:39
Hubby and I stayed in several hostels in Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and Kinosaki and in every hostel they had free wifi. One had cable instead of wifi, and one asked us to only use it in the lobby (which we didn't) but they all had it free of charge. Was great! Especially coming from Aus, where we don't have much wifi, let alone free wifi!
by Imperfect rate this post as useful

reply to this thread