Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Accommodation/bus during Takayama festival 2011/10/12 20:27
Hi

I am currently planning a trip to Japan next April and realised my proposed itinerary coincides with the Takayama festival. Currently my schedule puts me in Takayama April 13th-15th.

My first question is how soon can I find accommodation for these two nights? A lot of sites are not showing any availability for the 14th already: is this because they are already booked or is it too early to book? One place replied to me to ask closer to the time.

Next questions: on 15th my plans are to take the Nohi bus to Kanazawa, breaking my journey for a few hours in Shirakawa-go. Will the bus schedule be altered due to the festival on 15th?

With breaking my journey will I need to but two tickets (Takayama - Shirakawa-go, Shirakawa-go - Kanazawa) or can I travel on a straight-through fare which is cheaper (Takayama - Kanazawa)?

How far in advance will I need to purchase my ticket? Will I be able to buy it when I arrive in Takayama on 13th April or is this too late?

Thank you
by Helen (guest)  

Re: Accommodation/bus during Takayama festival 2011/10/14 13:36
My first question is how soon can I find accommodation for these two nights?

It depends on the hotel and reservation sites. But I strongly recommend to try make bookings as soon as possible, i.e. now. I recommend to try out various sites.

A lot of sites are not showing any availability for the 14th already: is this because they are already booked or is it too early to book?

Either could be the case. Many hotels allocate a large number of rooms to travel agencies for the agencies to create travel packages. As a result, they can be booked out even now. But other hotels have a policy of not selling rooms before a certain time, e.g. 3 or 2 month in advance.

I recommend to try different reservation websites and look into the policy of single hotels you are interested in.

Next questions: on 15th my plans are to take the Nohi bus to Kanazawa, breaking my journey for a few hours in Shirakawa-go. Will the bus schedule be altered due to the festival on 15th?

No, I don't think so.

With breaking my journey will I need to but two tickets (Takayama - Shirakawa-go, Shirakawa-go - Kanazawa) or can I travel on a straight-through fare which is cheaper (Takayama - Kanazawa)?

You need to pay for two tickets.

How far in advance will I need to purchase my ticket? Will I be able to buy it when I arrive in Takayama on 13th April or is this too late?

I don't know. It is possible to make reservation by phone up to one month in advance, however, that may not be possible in English.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Accommodation/bus during Takayama festival 2011/10/14 20:43
Thank you Uji.

With the festival falling on the weekend and thus my bus journey being on Sunday 15th April I am anxious both that Takayama will be very busy with the festival and that the bus might be sold out.

Also, is Shirakawa-go likely to be more busy on weekends versus weekdays?

I am wondering whether to reverse this part of my trip and visit on the way back to Tokyo later in my trip (missing the festival), rather than upon first leaving there.
by Helen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Accommodation/bus during Takayama festival 2011/10/15 08:18
With the festival falling on the weekend and thus my bus journey being on Sunday 15th April I am anxious both that Takayama will be very busy with the festival and that the bus might be sold out.

Takayama will definitely be very busy, especially on Saturday. I am not sure about the bus situation.

Also, is Shirakawa-go likely to be more busy on weekends versus weekdays?

Yes.

I am wondering whether to reverse this part of my trip and visit on the way back to Tokyo later in my trip (missing the festival), rather than upon first leaving there.

If your purpose has not been the festival in the first place and you are not too interested in the festival and more interested in the "normal", less crowded Takayama and Shirakawago, I think that would indeed be an option worth considering.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread