Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kumamoto City to Takachiho Gorge 2011/10/16 15:34
Hi, need some advices. Our family of 6 will be touring Kyushu in early december for 8 days using rental car. We will be checking out our hotel in Kumamoto City early to Aso Farmland. We would like to make a trip further to Takachiho Gorge before arriving Aso farmland at about 1pm. Do you think is feasible? Thanks in advance!
by MichelleS (guest)  

Re: Kumamoto City to Takachiho Gorge 2011/10/16 15:50
We would like to make a trip further to Takachiho Gorge before arriving Aso farmland at about 1pm. Do you think is feasible?

It takes about two hours to drive from Kumamoto to Takachiho and another 90 minutes from Takachiho to Aso. With an early start to the day it is theoretically possible, but I don't recommend it. I personally consider it too much driving for just the gorge.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto City to Takachiho Gorge 2011/10/16 21:13
Thank you for your kind advice.
Before we go to Aso farmland, is there any other place you recommend we can visit? Mount Aso, Kurokawa Onsen, Yufurin are our subsequent destinations. Forgot to mention my husband and I will be travelling with our parents and 2 kids.
by MichelleS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto City to Takachiho Gorge 2011/10/17 08:44
We have just returned from touring the Takachiho, Yufuin, Kurokawa, Aso, Kumamoto areas.

We travelled Kurokawa-TakachihoGorge-Aso starting at ~9:30am and only got to Aso at about 5:00pm (allowing a couple of short stops to view interesting things along the way and ~1.5hrs at Takachiho))

Don't underestimate how long it takes to travel by car in Japan - you will probably want to spend ~2hours at Takachiho too. If you just plan to drive, drive, drive without time to stop, relax and enjoy the sights I think it's your loss :( Personally I also think Kumamoto-Takachiho-Aso is possible with a very early start, but that's about all I'd do in the one day.

NB: I recommend the Somen Noodle shop next to the gorge where you have to 'catch' the noodles as they float down past you from the kitchen in the long bamboo poles. Lots of fun!

Do not rent a Nissan Serena passenger 'van' as it was nothing but trouble! Too many electronics that started started stuffing up for unknown reasons. Eventually couldn't even start the car due to computer problems.
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

Re: Kumamoto City to Takachiho Gorge 2011/10/17 08:45
You might have already planned that for the previous day, but Kumamoto has quite a few interesting things to see:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4500.html

But apart from that I can't think of anything interesting between Kumamoto and Aso.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread