Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yahoo! Auctions and foreign credit cards 2011/10/20 20:38
Hello,

I recently created an account at Yahoo auctions (Japan) to bid on some items. When I did so I was under the impression that Yahoo Kantan Kessei accepted visa cards. However, now that I am trying to complete a transaction I've found that of course only Japanese cards, with the name written in kana, are accepted. I've sent them a mail, asking why they did not mention this until I tried to pay, but I don't have much hope for them presenting a solution.

So now I turn to this forum. Does anyone know of a way to use Kantan Kessei with a foreign VISA card? If not, could yo help me compose a sentence with the meaning "Yahoo will not accept my visa card. Please relist the item. I am sorry for wasting your time" in Japanese?
by Hokan (guest)  

Re: Yahoo! Auctions and foreign credit cards 2011/10/21 09:24
Even Japan-issued credit cards do not have any name written in "kana" on them :)
Have you registered your credit card with their Yahoo! Wallet (Japan)?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re:P. S. 2011/10/21 09:41
I don't know where you are, but would paying with International Postal Money Order be an option from your country? (You have to by them at a post office in your country and have to post them.) Has the seller been responsive with his/her answers and sound accommodating?

If you want the sentence, I've expanded yours a bit:

今になって、Yahoo!オークションの支払には、海外のクレジットカードは使えないとわかりました。ほかに支払う方法がありませんので、垂オ訳ありませんが、購入できません。お手数をおかけして垂オ訳ございません。再出品してください。

(It's only now that I found out that overseas credit cards cannot be used to pay for Yahoo! Auction. As I have no other way to pay you, I'm sorry but I cannot make the purchase. Sorry for the trouble. Please go ahead and relist.)

Re: Yahoo! Auctions and foreign credit cards 2011/10/21 11:39
Thankfully, I was able to work something out with the seller. My friend will make a furikomi transfer for me (since it's not a lot of money, the international bank transfer fee would basically double the price). Despite all the troubles the seller was always polite and very helpful.

When selecting Yahoo! Kantan Kessei, you have to enter your credit card details, with your name in katakana. As my card is connected to verified by visa, I suppose they block the transaction as the name is written wrong. I do not know the details though, because the site only says that this credit card cannot be used, and asks me to use another one.
by Hokan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yahoo! Auctions and foreign credit cards 2011/10/22 13:44
I asked Yahoo!Japan Auction whether they allow as a rule only Japan-issued cards, and suggested to them that if they do not allow foreign cards at all for Kantan Kessai they should mention it upfront. Their answer was that they have their own criteria for approving certain credit cards, which they are not going to disclose, and that the same criteria applies also to Japan-issued cards (so it means there would be some Japan-issued cards that would not be allowed). No further details.

I'm glad you found another solution with the seller :)

reply to this thread