Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Harajuku on New Year 2011/12/21 22:16
So, I have this dilemma. My birthday is on Jan. 1st. Lots of things are closed, so I'm planning to take a trip to Odaiba where most things remain open. However, I just don't feel like I went to Tokyo if I don't go to Harajuku. I will be staying at a hotel in Ginza, so I'm kind of in the middle! I really want to go to Odaiba, but I also don't want to miss the Harajuku street fashion! I read that Sunday is the best. My only Sunday in Japan will be Jan 1st, is it worth taking a quick trip to Harajuku on that day? (I may split my day into Harajuku and Odaiba) and also, what's the peak time when the most people visit Harajuku?

Thank you!
by Beusin  

Re: Harajuku on New Year 2011/12/22 11:42
I don't live in Tokyo, but I know that near Harajuku Station is Meiji Jingu. Go there on the 1st and you'll have an experience.
by ChrisBajen rate this post as useful

Re: Harajuku on New Year 2011/12/22 12:34
Hi Chris!

thanks for your answer, but aI've been reading that a lot of stuff will be closed on Harajuku for the 1st of jan. I am aware that Meiji is close, and I intend to visit on a different day. For the night of the 31-1st I'll be in sensoji, but during the da y of the 1st of Jan, since so many things will be closed, I'd rather head for Odaiba . But I still wouldn't like to miss the Harajuku... so i'm considering splitting my day between both, but I'm wondering what time it would be better to go to Harajuku: during the morning, ebfore 2 pm or around 8 or 9 pm?
by Beusin rate this post as useful

Re: Harajuku on New Year 2011/12/22 16:11
"Harajuku is better on sunday"

Yes it is normally, but don't forget that this is a holiday period. From january 29th to january 3rd most Japanese have holiday so my guess is most of these days Harajuku will me a lot more crowded than on normal days. This particular Jan. 1st Harajuku might be less fun to go to than Dec 31 or Jan 2nd...
by Dutchman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Harajuku on New Year 2011/12/22 19:00
Something like one million people visit Meiji Shrine for New Year's, so January 1 really isn't the time to go looking for a typical Harajuku street scene. I'd suggest going before the first.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Harajuku on New Year 2011/12/23 10:17
Hmmmmm, i seee... I scheduled my trip to Harajuku on the 28th (I'm only coming for 5 days, leaving on the 2nd), and I would hesitate moving it because so many things will be closed on Dec 29th. The night of the 31st I'll spend it in Sensoji, during the day I'll got o Ikebukuro. I hope there is something interesting to see at Harajuku on the 28th :(
Thank you all for your help!
by Beusin rate this post as useful

reply to this thread