Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo railway pass and transportation 2012/1/3 06:32
HI!

I'm going to tokyo in february and will be there for a month.
I wonder if there is cards, other than the JR railway pass, that is valid for a month and covers all JR lines and subways, buses in tokyo? and if i possibly can go to Osaka with the same?

xoxo
by Emilia (guest)  

Re: Tokyo railway pass and transportation 2012/1/3 09:19
I wonder if there is cards, other than the JR railway pass, that is valid for a month and covers all JR lines and subways, buses in tokyo?

No, such a pass does not exist. 1-month (commuter) passes in Japan are available for specific routes, but not for an entire city.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo railway pass and transportation 2012/1/3 09:24
Generally speaking, it is cheaper to pay as you go each day.

If you are traveling between two points everyday then getting a commuter pass that covers those two points might be a good idea. But if you are just a regular tourist going to different locations everyday, then pay-as-you-go is the best option.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo railway pass and transportation 2012/1/3 09:49
Just get the Suica card. It covers everything in greater Tokyo area and JR in Osaka. Can't use it on Shinkansen, though.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo railway pass and transportation 2012/1/3 19:58
Sorry for offtop! Who knows are these commuter tickets available for foreigners? For example, i'll be studeing in language school for 1 year, can i purchase commuter ticket?

thanks.
by Kagero (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo railway pass and transportation 2012/1/4 04:05
Commuter tickets can be purchased by anyone.

For a student they make sense, especially if you are traveling from your home to school almost everyday, it usually is cheaper then buying full fare ticket everyday.

They come in one month, 3 months and six months versions.

Commuter pass covers a set route (eg from your home to school/work etc), you can get on/off unlimited within that route. If you go off the route, then you pay the extra costs as normal.

For example lets say your house is A and your school/work is D.

A-B-C-D

You can travel as much as you want between A-D, you are free to get on/off at points B and C as well unlimited during the duration of your pass.

Now lets say you want to go to point E from point A. If you bought a regular ticket you have to pay the full route from A to E, but with your commuter pass, you only pay from D-E if you go off route.

Hope that makes sense.

by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo railway pass and transportation 2012/1/9 16:14
Thank you very much for information!
by Kagero (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread