Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ise-Jingu, Ise Shrine 2012/1/14 09:46
Hi all,

I'm wondering for those who have been to Ise-Jingu, how much time do you usually spend there? (for inner and outer shrine respectively)

Do you think 1100 - 1430 (3.5 hrs) is sufficient for all sites and a lunch? Or a longer time is recommended?

Trying to decide to visit IseJingu on the day of onsen (pick up at 1530, hence the time restriction) or the next day, when time is not so much of a factor..

Is it possible to visit in this order?
Iseshi station - Bus to Inner Shrine + Oharai - Bus to Outer Shrine - Walk back to Iseshi station

Thanks in advance! :)

by rea (guest)  

Re: Ise-Jingu, Ise Shrine 2012/1/14 10:00
These things differ widely between different types of travelers. Fast travelers can see the outer shrine in 15 by just going to the main building and back. Those wishing to see all the buildings will require 30-45 minutes. The people who really like the slow pace might spend an hour there or more.

The inner shrine is larger, and a visit takes more time. The really fast visitors still can make it in 15-20 minutes. But the average visitor is more likely to spend 30-90 minutes. There is also an attractive shopping street that leads to the inner shrine and can keep you busy for a considerable amount of time.

Do you think 1100 - 1430 (3.5 hrs) is sufficient for all sites and a lunch?

If you travel at a relatively fast pace, it can be done.

Or a longer time is recommended?

If you like to travel at a slow pace, more time is recommended.

Is it possible to visit in this order?
Iseshi station - Bus to Inner Shrine + Oharai - Bus to Outer Shrine - Walk back to Iseshi station

Yes, that is the best order.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Ise-Jingu, Ise Shrine 2012/1/14 11:33
Visiting Outer Shrine first and then Inner shrine is the formal way of worshipping Ise Shrine.
But many people visit only Inner Shrine and then stroll along Oharaimachi, enjoying eating and shopping souvenirs.
If you donft have much time, I recommend you to do so. Inner shrine is a real sanctuary and it has lot to see.
by Japanboy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ise-Jingu, Ise Shrine 2012/1/14 11:35
Yes, I also recommend the order because of the lack of time. In case you end up spending "too much" time at the more interesting Inner Shrine, you could skip the Outer Shrine. If you had enough time, I recommend to visit the shrines in the usual order: Outer before Inner.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Ise-Jingu, Ise Shrine 2012/1/14 11:50
If you just visit the Inner and Outer Shrines of Ise-Jingu, 3.5 hrs should be more than sufficient. The walk through both does not take long (especially the Outer Shrine) since you are not allowed to enter the actual shrine buildings. As ordinary visitors rather than pilgrims we spent more time in Oharai-machi instead browsing through those interesting craft and souvenir shops and also lining up for a herbal tea place.

The follow-up comment is that it seems a pity to miss out other worthwhile destinations in the area if you just go for a few hours. We had a full day and took the CAN bus to hop on-and-off between sites and yet could not cover all on the route.
http://tourismmiejapan.com/travel/michikusa.html

BTW, are you the one who was asking about Tohoku a couple of years ago!? If so, I remember you were enquiring about Naruko Gorge and Ginzan Onsens. How was your trip?
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Ise-Jingu, Ise Shrine 2012/1/22 17:46
Thank you Uji, Japanboy and William5 for your responses!

At least i have some idea now. I agree that the amount of time spent is very subjective and differ from individuals to indivdiuals. Will do more planning and research.

William5, yes I was the one. Wow you have a good memory! Were you the one who gave us lots of good advice? :D It was a very good trip! In the end, we decided to forgo Naruko Gorge and (splurge) enjoy Ginzan Onsen. It's a very unique little 'town'.
by rea (guest) rate this post as useful

memory 2012/1/23 04:14
Thanks, rea. Now I can tell my wife I am not as old as she claims I am as I still have a good memory, lol!

The reason I still remember is due to the fact that not too many posts on Naruko Gorge nor Ginzan Onsen are found here. Hopefully my input had made your trip a bit more enjoyable. If my memory serves me right, you were going during autumn in 2009, correct!? It is a pity you have to skip Naruko Gorge which is one of the top koyo sites in Tohoku. Ah well, there is always a next time!

Happy planning.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Ise-Jingu, Ise Shrine 2012/1/24 11:12
Haha, you can definitely tell her that. You're right again, we went there during autumn period. ;D

Yes, because there wasn't much information on Naruko and Ginzan, your input is very valuable! :) Yup, we will definitely be visiting Naruko if there is a chance again in future!

For this trip, I think I'll visit Toba sights before onsen and put Ise Jingu the day after. No rush in this case.

Thanks all for helping me out! :)
by rea (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread