Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel from Tokyo to Kagoshima in one day? 2012/1/22 18:55
Can I travel from Tokyo to Kagoshima in one day? I have a Japan Rail Pass. NI expect to travel on 19 April.......a Thursday. What time do I need to depart Tokyo and what would be my arrival time in Kagoshima
regards
by Graeme (guest)  

Re: Travel from Tokyo to Kagoshima in one day? 2012/1/22 19:05
Yes, it is easily possible. The basics are explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4604.html

And you can look up actual connections here (uncheck the airplane and nozomi checkboxes):
http://www.hyperdia.com/

The last departure of the day for Japan Rail Pass holders is around 15:30.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Travel from Tokyo to Kagoshima in one day? 2012/1/22 19:10
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4604.html

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
click "SearchDetails"
then 3 checkmark [Ú] out!!
[ ] Airplane
[ ] Airport Shuttle Bus
[ ] NOZOMI / MIZUHO HAYABUSA (SHINKANSEN)
by oidon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel from Tokyo to Kagoshima in one day? 2012/1/23 05:11
As Uji has already stated, it is possible, but you would need to leave Tokyo at 06.26 and you would arrive at Kagoshima Chuo station at 14.09 and then you would need to get the 15.30 train to start back to Tokyo. So you would have only just over an hour in the city, not really any time to even leave the area of the station. You might want to at least stay overnight.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel from Tokyo to Kagoshima in one day? 2012/1/23 05:37
I assumed the OP is making a one way trip.

Re: Travel from Tokyo to Kagoshima in one day? 2012/1/23 06:00
@ Uji: I guess I got confused with your comment about the 15.30 train you mentioned, I see now that you meant the last train from Tokyo. It is just that the last train from kagoshima Chuo is also around 15.30, 15.34 to be exact.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel from Tokyo to Kagoshima in one day? 2012/1/23 19:01
Even travelling on the comfortable Shinkansens, travelling to Kagoshima from Tokyo is a VERY long journey.
We travelled from Kagoshima-Nagoya in one journey (switching trains) and found that too long - would never do it again. Sometimes you have to weigh up the value of the JR Pass against the value of your precious travelling time - you're virtually losing a whole day of your trip by taking a Shinkansen to Kagoshima.

I would suggest travelling Tokyo to Kyushu destinations using one of the budjet airlines as they are very good value if you can book in advance, then validating your JR pass and slowly making your way to your final destination.
by Stewy63 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel from Tokyo to Kagoshima in one day? 2012/1/24 00:09
I just booked a flight last night from Haneda to Oita in Kyushu - even though I was eligible for the JAL Yokoso fare I couldn't get the flight time I wanted with that so I opted for the discount flyer Solaseed Air and my total cost is 13000. And the flight is under two hours....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Travel from Tokyo to Kagoshima in one day? 2012/1/25 09:43
Thank you all for your responses. Can I ask Stewy63/Maranyc about the cheap airfares? How do they work? Are they standby fares only purchased at the airport on the day of travel? And does it include checked baggage? I was under the impression one could only take cabin baggage
regards
by grae1 rate this post as useful

... 2012/1/25 10:34
about the cheap airfares? How do they work?

This page provides useful information on domestic air travel in Japan, there are many options, some depending on which international airline you fly to Japan with.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2365.html

We've done a number of long train journeys in Japan and I personally would have no worries about doing Tokyo to Kagoshima. You do use a lot of time of course, but leaving at 6:30am and arriving at 2pm seems fine to me. We've done Furano to Tokyo, and Hakodate to Okayama for example which are both longer.

I think if the train journey is somewhere in the middle of your overall itinerary it can be nice to have a bit of a "rest day" as in general we travel at a relatively fast pace!

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Travel from Tokyo to Kagoshima in one day? 2012/1/25 10:44
Check out Skymark Airlines or Solarseed airlines online in english.

Normally flights are released 3months before travel dates,
so get in quick when they come out to secure the cheapest seats. (~$150 HND-KGO)

Skymark Airlines fly newish B737-800s and have ordered 6 A380s! (Unlike JAL/JTAs crappy old B737-400s we flew last September!)
by Stewy63 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel from Tokyo to Kagoshima in one day? 2012/1/25 10:49
grae1 - my flight is from HND to Oita on Solaseed and cost 12,700 JPY. It is not stand by - they do have a English website that gives info about standby but I didn't do that one. It seems like it costs about $30 more than the Yokoso fare. I really don't know about checked luggage - I usually carry on my 20"suitcase.....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Travel from Tokyo to Kagoshima in one day? 2012/1/27 17:44
Normally flights are released 3months before travel dates,

2 months in case of Skymark.

Re: Travel from Tokyo to Kagoshima in one day? 2012/1/27 19:21
THANKS ALL
by grae1 rate this post as useful

Re: Travel from Tokyo to Kagoshima in one day? 2012/1/28 02:56
Take night train (Sunrise Express) to Okayama and in the morning to Kagoshima, or night JR Bus to Osaka and then shinkansen in the morning to Kagoshima, both alternatives for free with JRPass
by kyon (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread