Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Himeji during restoration works 2012/2/1 08:41
Has anyone been to Himeji since the scaffolding went up? If so, can you advise me as to whether it would be worth it to come here on a day trip at the expense of, say Koya-san or Osaka? How much of an enjoyment of Himeji Castle comes from touring the interior, as opposed to being able to see the exterior? Thanks!
by sk24bl (guest)  

... 2012/2/1 12:23
I only went to Himeji before the renovation started, so can't comment on how worthwhile it is now. If you have an interest in the restoration process I'm sure it would be interesting.

I would probably pick Koyasan before Himeji. Just note that most people do an overnight stay at Koyasan at one of the temple lodgings.

Another alternative is a half-day trip to Hikone castle.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7000.html

You could probably do Hikone in the morning and then Osaka in the afternoon/evening for example.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Himeji during restoration works 2012/2/1 19:03
I recommend Himeji only if you have an unusually big interest in castles or have a special interest in restoration works.

The interior of castles is very simple and not very exciting besides the steep stairs.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Himeji during restoration works 2012/2/1 22:04
I agree with Uji. I haven't been there since the restoration started so perhaps they have exhibits about the restoration but Himeji Castle's normal exhibits are very minimal. While the inside is interesting, coming to see the interior alone I don't think would really give you an appreciation of the castle.

Of your other two choices, Koyasan is far more interesting than Osaka in my opinion unless you really want to see the city.

If you want to see a real castle, consider Hikone.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Himeji during restoration works 2012/2/1 22:47
I just visited Himeji castle today and I felt it was worth it, because I got to see how the rebuilding is coming along and the view was fantastic! I recommend buying the ticket to go up to the top floor.
by Sherry (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Himeji during restoration works 2012/2/7 01:17
Thanks for your help, everyone. I think I'll probably go to see the castle in Hikone instead, and definitely take a trip to Koya-san. It might be interesting to see the reconstruction at Himeji, but I just don't think I'll have the time on this trip. Maybe I'll be back in 2015. Thanks again!
by sk24bl (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread