Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/6 12:39
I will be travelling from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo on the 18th of April with the purchase of JR ordinary pass. However, i will be travelling with my family of 4 and with 3 big luggages along. May i know where can i place my luggages? For my understanding, large suitcases can ony be stored behind the last row of the seat of each car, is there any alternatives if the last row of the seats are occupied?
Next, are there many people taking the ''Green Car''?
Another questions, is 7am a peak hour for JR railway?
by Mei (guest)  

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/6 16:37
Generally when I'm on the Shinkansen I have a big roller bag, which I place in front of my legs (leaves me not very much leg room, but it does fit). Not sure if this would work for you, depending on the size of your bags, but the roller bag I usually bring along is pretty huge.
by Kirjava444 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/6 16:48
Thanks.
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/6 18:13
The space behind the last seats can take quite a lot of luggage. Just pile it up.
When you get to the platform work out which way the train is going and so work out the back of the car. The station staff will help you.
Getting on at Tokyo means you will be the first on the train, so if you are at the head of the line for the carriage you will be the first in the carriage. You can pile quite a bit up.
Enjoy!!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/6 19:37
Actually, it is not a good idea to pile up your luggage as it would restrict anyone sitting in the end seats to be able to recline their seat.

If your train is starting from Shin-Osaka, it is better to be on the platform early enough to be in line by the back door of your car and be first, or one of the first, to board the train. Where to stand will be marked on the platform floor.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/6 22:16
Hi all, I will be traveling to Japan for Hanami festival and I am planning to get a 7-days JR ordinary pass. Now, I am facing the same problem as Mei in regards to the luggage storage in shinkansen. Can anyone advise if the Tokaido Shinkansen will be crowded at 7am? Myself is 6 feet tall and I am not sure placing the large suitcase in front of my legs is a good idea? Can anyone advise on this?

Another question is, how does the seat reservation works? Are we allowed to pick our own seat? Or the seats will be randomly assigned by the JR office?

Also, my friends and I will be going to Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route from Shinjuku to Matsumoto. From Hyperdia, it shows that we have to get into Limited Express Super Azusa. From my understanding, limited express Super Azusa requires extra fees for seat reservations. Kindly advise on this.
Thank you very much.
by yvonne (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/7 06:43
I would recommend doing what millions of Japanese do: pay to send your bags to your desitnation with a domestic shipper. This can be done from almost any hotel and most convenience stores. The charge is not prohibitive (about 1500 yen even for large suitcases, about 1200 yen for smaller bags) and will save you the trouble of hauling it around. Luggage will arrive at most destinations the next morning.
Taking large luggage on the Shinkansen is a bother. Often there is not much room and (as mentioned by another poster) larger luggage does prohibit the seat directly in front from reclining properly.
by BJ_4965 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/7 23:59
Would just like to add my 2-cents worth regarding leg-room. The leg-room for all Shinkansen's seats are at least 20-30 cm more than an airplane. if you are not travelling to far on each leg of your journey, the travelling time is usually not more than 3 hours you could actually place your large luggage lying down in front of you and use as a leg rest. Also unlike an airplane, you can always get up to stretch yourself and walk around the whole train. Just make sure you have reserved seats. Judge for yourself by looking at the pics in this link. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018.html
by nww rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/11 11:19
Dear BJ_4965 and nww, thanks for the suggestion.
It would be great if you can suggest the solution to my next queries. I will be reaching Kansai Airport on the first day. Is it possible for me to make the seat reservation for my whole trip in Japan and collect the reservation ticket immediately just from Kansai Airport as I am planning to hop into the earliest train to avoid the crowd/ peak hours.

Thank you very much.

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/11 20:04
First off, I don't think some of your original questions were answered:

Another question is, how does the seat reservation works? Are we allowed to pick our own seat? Or the seats will be randomly assigned by the JR office?

Usually the ticket issuer will asign you a seat unless you ask for a certian location. I usually ask for a seat at the rear/last row of the train car. Unless the train is very full, they normally manage to find me something. If you are a group it may be more difficult to find several seats together in a certain location.

Also, my friends and I will be going to Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route from Shinjuku to Matsumoto. From Hyperdia, it shows that we have to get into Limited Express Super Azusa. From my understanding, limited express Super Azusa requires extra fees for seat reservations. Kindly advise on this.
Thank you very much.

If you are using the National JR Rail Pass, all seat fees and reservation fees are included, there are no extra charges, just the same as on the Shinkansen.

I will be reaching Kansai Airport on the first day. Is it possible for me to make the seat reservation for my whole trip in Japan and collect the reservation ticket immediately just from Kansai Airport as I am planning to hop into the earliest train to avoid the crowd/ peak hours.

As long as you exchange your JR rail pass voucher beforehand, you can then make all your reservations, even if you are not activating the pass straight away. At Kansai airport the exchange can be done at the JR ticket office between 05.30 and 23.00.so
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/11 20:25
Dear RobBeer, this detailed clarification is more like it! Thanks!
Cheers!

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/12 06:49
The seats in a shinkansen can be swiveled around. And because the nice thing is that you travel with four you van swivel one seat around (so 2*2 are facing, and 2 are traveling backwards). By doing this you get some extra storage room between the swiveled seat and the next row. This room is just a little bit less than the room behind the last seat row in a cabin. Also you can store some bags between your feat)

As the seats in a shinkansen are either for 2 or 3 persons you have to make sure that during the reservation you state that you want the '2 seats'.
Also maybe some other people have swiveled their seats and not use the extra space behind their seats. So look around.

Basically we (my wife and i) had never had any great trouble with our luggage on a shinkansen.

Have a nice trip
B. Slager
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/18 14:06
Regarding making all you reservations as soon as you arrive. My advice is, unless you have lots of time to spare, you should do your immediate leg of you trip first as you may be stuck at the office for more than an hour if you have several legs of your journey to book and you may not be first in line. Your can always do the other legs of your journey at other JR offices when you have more time to spare. Also it would be helpful if you have all your travelling times planned beforehand so that you can let the staff know your preference instead of going through the timetable in front of the staff. You can do that at http://www.hyperdia.com/

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/19 01:16
Thanks all! Really appreciate the sharing and kind advice. These will definitely help me travel more comfortably and also enjoy to the utmost!!!

I am looking forward to Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route. Feeling so excited to visit the "snow wall".. Also, I have read through several websites showing that I can only buy my one way ticket"—§ŽR••”ƒAƒ‹ƒyƒ“ƒ‹[ƒgæŽÔŒ”" either from Toyama or Shinano-Omachi station. But, since I will be around Echigo-Yuzawa,I would prefer to take the weekday train at 1030am from Toyama to Tateyama Station. Can anyone advise if is it possible for me to buy the ticket in advance from JR Ticketing Office or other places besides Toyama or Shinano-Omachi station?

Thanks and regards.

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/19 02:13
Yvonne,
For the Tateyama Alpine trip, I recommend you send your luggage ahead (as someone mentioned in previous comment). You can send ahead to either of the end station or to your next hotel destination. Just have a backpack.
The alpine trip on the various transportations is like a zoo (wall to wall people) in April when it first opens. Also, if you want to spend some time at each station, I would recommend you leave from the origin (Toyama or Shinano Omachi) as earliest time as possible.
I took this trip twice (once in the fall and second time in the spring) and each time it got worse with more tourists. Second time - two years ago - I only took my back pack and sent my luggage ahead to the next destination, which was Matsumoto. The views were incredible each time.
by Mikey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/19 16:27
Hi Mikey,

I would prefer to do a day trip for Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route as I will then be staying in Tokyo for few more nights. I have read through several blogs, commented that they had spent more than half an hour to get the ticket. Can you advise if it is possible to purchase/book the ticket in advance from JR Ticketing Office or other places besides Toyama or Shinano-Omachi station?

Thanks and regards.

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/19 21:33
Can anybody give a weblink (in English) to a shipper that ships from hotel to hotel and provides the cost?
Thanks
Slager
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/20 05:36
Sorry, Yvonne. I can't help you on the advanced ticket purchase. Both times, I bought my tickets at Toyama.

At the website for the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route, http://www.alpen-route.com/english/Access/index5.html , there is an info on the ticket purchasing and luggage forwarding.

If you are going in April, don't forget to take a hat/snow cap, umbrella, glove, and a heavy jacket. Also, boots may help if you going to walk around in the snow at Murado.

Good luck.

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/24 22:42
Hi Slager,

This link will provide the required info:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

Re: Luggage storage area in Shinkansen 2012/2/25 02:11
Hi Slager,

This is the website for Kuroneko (Black Cat) Yamato Transport. There is a size and rate info at the bottom of the website.

http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/english/

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread