Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do I say these in Japanese? 2012/2/11 18:49
I'm writing a letter to a friend, and I'm learning Japanese so it would really help to know some of these in Japanese if possible.

'I Hope your well' ~Like as in someones health or wellbeing in general.~ This is before the end of the letter, like before i say talk to you later or something. I already know how to say (along with many other things) 'How Are you?' and I'm Doing Great!'

'Anything Exciting happening where you are?' Or something similar to that.

'Enjoying your new year?' Or 'How is your new year?'

'So far my new year has been amazing.' or 'My new year has been amazing'

Also if possible 'I Went to a Japanese Summer Festival Today! And I saw some cute little Japanese girls wearing yukata, They were so cute!'

Its all for my letter of course. and if anyone has any other sentences or questions i could have that are in Japanese Hiragana and romaji, that would be awesome.

Domo Arigato!
by Marcy (guest)  

Re: How do I say these in Japanese? 2012/2/12 12:49
Hello.

"おかわりないでしょうか。" (I hope you are well, as usual)

"わたしはとてもげんきです。" (I am doing great)

"Anything Exciting happening where you are?" Or something similar to that.

"なにかたのしい(おもしろい)ことはありませんでしたか" ("Have you had anything fun (interesting) happening?" - Rarely asked)

"しんねんをいかがおすごしでしょうか。" (How are you getting along in the new year)

"しんねんがあけてから、

Also if possible 'I Went to a Japanese Summer Festival Today! And I saw some cute little Japanese girls wearing yukata, They were so cute!'

"わたしはきょう、にほんのなつまつりへいきました。ちいさなかわいいにほんのおんなのこがゆかたをきていました。とってもかわいかったよ。"
by Narazuke (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I say these in Japanese? 2012/2/12 12:55

"わたしは、しんねんがあけてから、ちょうしはじょうじょうです"

(Since the new year, things on my side has been going smoothly: - things are very lost in translation here... )

by Narazuke (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I say these in Japanese? 2012/2/12 13:11
Marcy,

The sentences in above posts are written in quite formal/polite speech. In what speech or tone do you normally write to this friend of yours?
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I say these in Japanese? 2012/2/12 15:23
Probably Casual But I would like to know both casual and Formal because it would help me learn more about the Language. thank you for the current answers, they are very helpful :)
by Marcy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I say these in Japanese? 2012/2/12 15:39
'I Hope your well' ~Like as in someones health or wellbeing in general.~ This is before the end of the letter, like before i say talk to you later or something. I already know how to say (along with many other things) 'How Are you?' and I'm Doing Great!'
Since you say it's toward the end of a letter, I assume you want to say "please stay well" rather than asking "how are you."
Then:
げんきで いてね。(Stay well - Casual)
げんきで おすごし ください。(Stay well - Polite)

'Anything Exciting happening where you are?' Or something similar to that.
さいきん たのしいこと あった?(Anything fun recently? - Casual)
さいきん なにか たのしいことは ありましたか。(Polite)

Since it's already into February, I would say "how were your New Year's days?/I hope you had fun over the New Year's"
おしょうがつは たのしかった?(Enjoyed your New Year's days/holidays?)
おしょうがつは ゆっくり すごされましたか。(Did you get good rest over the New Year's days/holidays?)

If you mean generally about how things have been since the new year started, you could say:
ことしは どう?(How's your new year so far - Casual)
しんねんが あけてから、がっこうは どうですか?(how is your school since the new year started? - Polite) Use しごと instead of がっこう if you want to say "work."

わたしは、しんねんが あけてから、たのしいこと ばかり。(Only fun/good things have been happening since the new year started.) - Casual
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How do I say these in Japanese? 2012/2/12 20:23
'I Hope your well'

I'm confused. Did you get cut off mid-sentence when you were asking someone about their underground water collection facility? For example, "I hope your well (is providing you with sufficient water)". Or was it that you need help with your native language as well?
http://www.youryoure.com/
by Professor Chaos (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread