Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

wedding ceremony in a shrine in Tokyo 2012/2/23 02:06
Is there a place we can watch such a ceremony?
Is it a specific day when it is most common to get married?
Is it consider not polite to watch?
by Dubit Ater (guest)  

... 2012/2/23 09:36
I've seen a number of brides at Meiji Shrine, usually on a Sunday. I don't think you are allowed access to the ceremony, but they often cross the courtyard and have group photos taken in the area or in one of the areas just off to the side. A couple of times I've seen two different bridal parties at the same time going to different areas.

Usually they have security guards making sure people stay out of the path that the bride will be walking and also making sure you don't block the official photographer/videographer, but I have seen Japanese and foreign tourists taking photos from the sidelines. Not sure how appropriate this is, but you certainly are not likely to get in trouble or anything.

Hope this helps!

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: wedding ceremony in a shrine in Tokyo 2012/2/23 10:09
I took these at Meiji jingu in 2005.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90798734@N00/5148471604/in/set-7215762519...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90798734@N00/5148471836/in/set-7215762519...

None of the attendees were at all concerned about the curious onlookers....

by John (digs Japan) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: wedding ceremony in a shrine in Tokyo 2012/2/23 11:27
Agreed. Meiji shrine is the easiest place in Tokyo for foreign tourists to watch Shinto wedding.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=meiji+shrine+wedding&oq=me...
by K (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: wedding ceremony in a shrine in Tokyo 2012/2/23 15:26
There is a strong tendency that people do the wedding on Tai-an day (6 day a week Chinese origin calender). It is a superstition, but yet it works.

So if you go out to a shrine on a Tai-an day, you have a big chance to encounter such shinto wedding.

Smaller shrines may be better for watching the ceremony itself.

FYFR, the six days are like this:

day one: Sen-sho - it is a good day when you forego and win

day two:Tomo-biki - it is a bad day you bring your friend a bad forture (other understanding exists, but on this day, people hate to do funeral ceremony)

day three:Sen-pu - it is not a good day to challenge/start for new things including some gambles. Stay home.

day four: Butsu-metsu - the hardest day even Budha dies. Wedding is avoided.

day five:Tai-an -the lucky day. everything goes well. Wedding is favorably picked on this date.

day six: Sha-kkou - day of risk, be careful for especially fire, blood, or any reddish unfortune stuff. But lucky between 11pm - 1pm

Today, Feb 23 is Sen-pu. So this Saturday is Tai-an, you will see more weddings out there.

Poeple don't care much about these except wedding and funeral occasions.
by Jay Key (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: wedding ceremony in a shrine in Tokyo 2012/2/23 17:07
Thank you all for your assistance!
Which small shrines are recommended?
I'll be in Tokyo on 26- 29 of April.
Can you tell when is the Tai-an -the lucky day on these dates?
Waiting to your answers
Dubit
by Dubit Ater (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread