Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which train is better to Hikone? 2012/3/6 11:43
We are staying in Kyoto and going to Castke Hikone for a day trip. I have read there are two trains you can take, one is a express but seems to take longer, but maybe you dont have to change trains like the other route. I will have the JR Pass so which train is better?
Is there anything else we should check out?
Thanks
by Rochelle P  

Re: Which train is better to Hikone? 2012/3/6 12:09
Local ppl who are not eligible for JR pass would take a direct special rapid train from JR Kyoto to JR hikone.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biwako_Line

If u ride a shinkansen, maibara, the 1st stop from Kyoto, is 1 stop east from JR Hikone by local train.
by k (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/3/6 12:42
You have the JR Pass so you may as well use the Shinkansen (that's what we did) to Maibara and then catch the local train back one stop to Hikone. This usually takes around 35 minutes all up. It tends to be a bit quicker than the special rapid train which is 50 minutes (no change required).

You can use hyperdia to check timetables, don't forget to check the options for coming back to Kyoto too so you have an idea of when you need to be back at Hikone station.
http://www.hyperdia.com

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Which train is better to Hikone? 2012/3/7 05:45
Thanks for the information
by Rochelle P rate this post as useful

Re: Which train is better to Hikone? 2012/3/7 05:56
I took the Shinkansen through Maibara when I did exactly the same trip on my JR Pass. It's a bit faster, and the connection is very quick and simple at Maibara. Plus, I always prefer the comfort and quiet of a Shinkansen, given a choice. But if you like variety, you could always use one routing for each direction.
by Deeg67 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread