Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

train fares in hyperdia.com 2012/3/10 22:34
Hello! I am planning our trip to Japan and I am using hyperdia.com to see the duration of the rides, the cost etc...my question is about the ticket prices: Let' say, I want to travel from Osaka to Tokyo and the fare states "8510 yen" but above I can see [Total: 13750 yen, (fare 8510yen seat fee: 5240yen)] so, how much is the ride Osaka-Tokyo ??.

My other question, is it is really possible to travel with a non reserved seat for long trips such as Osaka-Tokyo? thank you!
by sussitravel  

Re: train fares in hyperdia.com 2012/3/10 23:00
Let' say, I want to travel from Osaka to Tokyo and the fare states "8510 yen" but above I can see [Total: 13750 yen, (fare 8510yen seat fee: 5240yen)] so, how much is the ride Osaka-Tokyo ??.

The total fare of 13750 yen, consisting of the base fare (called "fare" by Hyperdia) and the shinkansen supplement (misleadingly called "seat fee" by Hyperdia).

You can select in the drop box whether you travel by reserved seat, non-reserved seat or Green Car seat. The shinkansen supplement fee will change accordingly and will be reflected in the total fare.

My other question, is it is really possible to travel with a non reserved seat for long trips such as Osaka-Tokyo?

Yes, of course. Here are some basics about shinkansen:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: train fares in hyperdia.com 2012/3/10 23:19
Uji, Thank you very much for the explanation and the link. In our last trip we bought the 7 days Rail Pass and rode the shinkasen but at the end of the day we realized that we didn't save any money because we just travel Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo. Now I am calculating if we really need the pass or just pay for single tickets ;)
by sussitravel rate this post as useful

Re: train fares in hyperdia.com 2012/3/10 23:25
I have traveled on a shinkansen in a green can with a reserved seat, and also on a non-reserved seat. so both are possible. There is a risk of being bumped if your are non-reserved, but it's not likely.

On the last day of my JR 7 day green pass, I was in Nagoya, and wanted to see a few more things in Kyoto before heading back to Tokyo. In the morning, I used my green pass to get a reserved seat towards Kyoto, and the plan for that day was to catch a shinkansen back to Tokyo that night.

As i looked outside at the scenery, I started to see rain drops in the windows. Pretty soon, I was seeing cars with their winshield wipers going out the window. Once the streets started to become slick, I figured out that I would be visiting Kyoto during a downpour.

I grabbed my bags and got off on the next stop and made my way to the eastbound shinkansen platform. I never tried to get a reserved seat, but just got on the next JR Train heading for Tokyo and drier weather. The rain eventually did make it to Tokyo that night, but I ended up being able to check into my hotel and get four hours of dry weather before that happened.

I will say that some limited express trains may be all reserved seating, so you may not be able to get around the extra fee all the time.

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: train fares in hyperdia.com 2012/3/10 23:39
Ebaychunky311, thank you for sharing :)

As you can see in my question, I was confused about the "seat fee" and I thought it was quite expensive, but in the link Uji provided I can see the reservation is something around 710 yen, plus 600 yen in Nozomi, Mizuho and Hayabusa trains. Am I right?

Re: train fares in hyperdia.com 2012/3/11 04:15
Actually, there are different cars. some of the cars are green, or first class. Some of the cars are reserved, and then there are additional cars that are unreserved. Some trains have cars that are 'women only'.

Once the train is underway, a conductor will check each car for new passengers, and check your ticket. If you are in a green or reserved car, you must have a ticket for the seat that you are in. When I sat in the unreserved car, I had to show the conductor my JR Rail Pass, to show that I was entitled to ride.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: train fares in hyperdia.com 2012/3/11 07:01
I can see the reservation is something around 710 yen, plus 600 yen in Nozomi, Mizuho and Hayabusa trains. Am I right?

Yes, that's right. The supplement for reserved seats is 310 yen, 510 yen or 710 yen depending on whether it is low season, regular season or high season respectively. Plus, there is a further supplement of between 200 and 600 yen (depending on distance traveled) if you use a reserved seat on a Nozomi, Mizuho or Hayabusa.

Re: train fares in hyperdia.com 2012/3/11 21:25
Thank you very much Uji. We will be in Osaka for a week and travelling to Kyoto and back in the evening for 4 days (we couldn't find an inexpensive Hotel in Kyoto), another day trip to Nara, another day trip to Himeji and then move to Tokyo for a few days. I have been reading about train passes and I have only found ok for us the 1 day JR West Rail Pass for going to Himeji. I am missing something?

While in Tokyo, we want to visit Yokohama, Chichibu, Kamakura, Ashi Lake (or any of the Five Lakes) and also go to Narita...is there any pass for travelling around Tokyo? I have only found the Hakone pass, but not sure how to cover the other trips...

Thank you very much!

Re: train fares in hyperdia.com 2012/3/11 21:56
I am missing something?

Most cities also have some day passes on offer. You can find them explained on each city's transportation page on this very website.

is there any pass for travelling around Tokyo?

There is no single pass to cover all your side trips. There are passes for Kamakura:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3115.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_003.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_004.html

There is also a pass for Chichibu:
http://www.seibu-group.co.jp/railways/tourist/english/privileges/chich...

But single tickets in combination with geographically wise day planning often comes cheapest.

Re: train fares in hyperdia.com 2012/3/15 18:24
Uji, thank you so much!

reply to this thread