Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kiyomizudera stairs to steep? 2012/3/20 16:02
Hi there,
I'll be travelling with my mom who has a lil knee problem (walking downhill wud be easier on her) so would it be wise to take a taxi up to Kiyomizudera and on the way down walk thru Ninen-zaka , Sannen-Zaka, visit Yasaka Shrine & Muruyama Park.
Am staying in the Gion area (any idea what the fare wud be like ?)

THanks,
by ammut  

Re: Kiyomizudera stairs to steep? 2012/3/20 17:34
It is difficult to judge without being familiar with your mother's exact condition. It is about 400 meters uphill from the taxi drop-off point to the temple:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=e...

Only a small part of the walk involves some stairs.

From Kiyomizudera via Sannen-Zakato Yasaka Shrine it is all downhill with just a few relatively short stairs. But the total distance is a considerable 1.3 kilometers:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=34.9965192,135.78...

Am staying in the Gion area (any idea what the fare wud be like ?)

The taxi fare from Gion to Kiyomizudera is about 800 yen although it depends on where in Gion you will be boarding the taxi and how bad the traffic is.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kiyomizudera stairs to steep? 2012/3/20 17:36
The temple visit itself (paid area) does not involve and stairs.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kiyomizudera stairs to steep? 2012/3/20 17:36
The road up to Kiyomizudera is terrifically steep, and hard going. I recommend a taxi (from Gion maybe 1500 JPY, it seems to be a long loop by car). The hard part is the short walk up the hill after the taxis stop but before the stairs, the stairs themselves arent so bad. The walk back toward Gion is quite gentle, some stairs at the beginning but after that it is very civilised
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kiyomizudera stairs to steep? 2012/3/20 18:17
thank you both very much...google map is amazing (never thot of using it!). It doesnt look too bad so yes we'll take a taxi up and take a nice slow walk back.
by ammut rate this post as useful

reply to this thread