Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shin-Hotaka Hike to Kamikochi in early May 2012/3/30 18:54
Is it possible to hike from the peak of Shin-Hotaka Ropeway to Kamikochi in early May? Is the trail still full of snow and too slippery for trekking?
by Mei San (guest)  

Re: Shin-Hotaka Hike to Kamikochi in early May 2012/3/31 07:27
No, it is not possible until late June or July.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Shin-Hotaka Hike to Kamikochi in early May 2012/3/31 16:23
Hi, Mei san. I'm an every-weekend hiker and once went through the same trail in autumn you are planning.
It is very true as you imagine. You should be experienced in snow trekking and have a pair of crampon (with more than 8 points, just in case) and stocks, as the trail down to Kamikochi is not popular for hikers in winter as it is through the deep forest and has a little of view.

Yet, only if you don't mind hiking in snow, I'd recommend you to head to Nishiho-Sanso, a mountain lodge on the ridge line (www.nishiho.com), or to Mt. Maruyama, which is a small peak on the way to Mt. Nishiho, and back to the ropeway station. The scenery is awsome :)
by Yama-suki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shin-Hotaka Hike to Kamikochi in early May 2012/4/1 02:43
I'm thinking of hiking to the lodge in mid apr. May I know where I can get crampons in that area or in kyoto or osaka? Thanks.
by Ron (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shin-Hotaka Hike to Kamikochi in early May 2012/4/3 02:14
Hi, Ron.
I guess you mean the lodge for Nishiho-sanso. A rental of Mountain equipments is not popular here in Japan, so all I know where to rent them is an online store at http://www.yamarent.com/ The store is located in Tokyo.

They have each crampon with 6 to 12 points, but I don't know if it fits your shoe size, and it would be better to ask the lodge via e-mail which one you have to choose.
by Yama-suki (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread