Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

One day trip from Tokyo to Mt Mitake 2012/4/13 01:58
Hello,
During our upcoming trip to Tokyo (first half of June) we plan a one day trip to mt/valley Mitake area.
We consider to go by train to Tachikawa and rent a car there. The reason we do not want to rent a car in Tokyo is because it might take too much time to get out of Tokyo (this is from experience).
From Tachikawa, or any town where we can rent a car closer to Mt Mitake, we will tour the area. BTW we are not the hiking type (age;-).

The question we have is: Can you go by private car to the area around the upper station of the Mitake Cablecar (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3036.html)?

Also we appreciate any suggestions on visiting this area.

Thanks in advance.
B. Slager
by B. Slager (guest)  

Re: One day trip from Tokyo to Mt Mitake 2012/4/13 08:23
Can you go by private car to the area around the upper station of the Mitake Cablecar

No. There is a very narrow road that goes up, but it is only for the locals. Tourists should leave their cars at the parking lot at the lower cablecar station.

Mount Mitake alone is more easily accessed by public transportation. If you plan to see other spots in the area, a car might be useful.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: One day trip from Tokyo to Mt Mitake 2012/4/13 18:04
Thanks Uji for the response.
Too bad you can not go up there by car. It might be too far or too steep for us to walk in the upper area.
BTW The narrow road is not bordering me. I have driven roads in Japan that hardly could fit a car (and i even had to back up to a broader space to have other cars pass!).
B. Slager
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One day trip from Tokyo to Mt Mitake 2012/4/13 18:14
The upper area is simply closed to general vehicle traffic (except for local residents/service vehicle).

I (in my late 40s, not much into exercising but a good walker) find the upper area a bit challenging, particularly in summer heat. Once you get to the upper cablecar station, the way from there to the Mitake Shrine made me heave (just stop to rest here and there on the way). The way down to the valley (nice and cool even in summer!) and back up had me heaving even more.

If you are not of the hiking type, I advise against trying Mt. Mitake. The valley/river around Mitake station is nice. Maybe you might want to drive along the river, and get to Lake Tama?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: One day trip from Tokyo to Mt Mitake 2012/4/14 02:27
Thanks AK for the comments/suggestion.
I guess we will refrain from looking around in the upper area of mt Mitake.
B. Slager
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread